Phoenix Family News
February 26, 2021
Important Dates Ahead...
- February 22-March 5: Winter Conference Window (see email from your child's teacher)
- March 1-5: Student Council Spirit Week (see below)
- March 5: Last Day of Trimester 2
- March 8-12: NO SCHOOL for all students - Spring Break
- March 15: NO SCHOOL for all students; Progress Reports to be delivered via email by 4:00
- March 16: First day of new learning model for those switching between VLA and Dial
Calendar and Schedule Updates
The latest calendar updates are available at sowashco.org/calendar.
February Focus on Kindness
We also want to thank everyone for being kind in our parking lot... we know that it's so much busier than it's been in the past. Ways you can help are by leaving as little space between cars as possible when you are in line, and entering the parking lot correctly by ONLY entering on the right. We have a number of cars that are entering our parking lot the wrong direction - meaning that they are entering through the exit line. To avoid any crashes in the parking lot, PLEASE adhere to the ENTER/EXIT traffic guidelines. Cars that come in late that need to get in the lot can certainly turn to the right (creating a double lane) and pass those in the pickup line.
Finally, we thank YOU for all of the kindness you've shown US through this unprecedented time! Thank you for being partners in your child's education!
Online Scholastic Book Fair is Here!
Our Scholastic Book Fair is here on a device near you! The fair is being held entirely online from Monday, February 22-Sunday, March 7 at 11:59 p.m. The fair will feature many new titles, including the opportunity to pre-order the latest Dog Man book, "Mothering Heights" which releases March 23, the newest Jeff Kinney book, "Rowley Jefferson's Awesome Spooky Stories" which releases March 16, and the next book in the Wing of Fire series "The Dangerous Gift" which releases March 2.
Visit https://www.scholastic.com/bf/valleycrossingelementarysch1 to access our online book fair.
A new feature of this fair is an expanded capability of the eWallet. Do you have grandparents, relatives or friends that want to give your child the gift of books? Create an eWallet account for your child and share a link with others to add funds to it! Go to our book fair website and click "Get started" in the eWallet section to set up the account. It only takes a few minutes and it will allow you to add funds to the account or generate a sharing link for email, Facebook, or even Twitter. All purchases benefit our school.
Questions? Contact Susan Vance email@example.com
Our Winter conferences are underway! Thanks to those families who have participated in conferences so far... we're looking forward to connecting with more families next week! If your child receives special education and/or EL services, case managers will be reaching out to families to set something up, and our specialists will be having open WebEx nights if you're hoping to check in! You can schedule a conference time with them or just drop in their WebEx room on the following nights (click on the specialist's name to access their WebEx room):
- Sarah Lanners/Media - 2/22 4:30-8:45, 2/23 4:00-8:30
- Alissa Nutting/Art - 2/22 4:30-7:45, 2/24 4:30-7:45, 3/1 4:30-6:15
- Michelle Lieder/PE - 2/22 4:30-8:45, 2/23 4:00-8:30
- Amie Schroeder/PE - 2/22 4:30-8:45, 2/23 4:00-8:30
- Stacey Burwick/K-3 Music - 2/22 4:30-8:45, 2/23 4:30-8:30
- Mary Slette/4-5 Music - 2/22 4:15-8:30, 2/23 4:15-8:15
- Dr. Gervais/Social Worker - click to see available times
If you'd like to connect with Mrs. Classon or Mrs. McDonald at any time during the conference window, please let us know!
Candid Yearbook Pictures Wanted!
The last day to submit candid photos is 3/15/21. Here is the link to upload pictures. Please enter login ID 415943946. For further directions, please click on the PDF below. We greatly appreciate your contributions and hope to get as many students as possible included in the yearbook this year!
A Quick Note from Dr. Gervais, School Social Worker
Please view my schedule and availability online at https://calendly.com/drgervais
- If you are interested in meeting with me during our Parent & Teacher Conferences, please visit my online schedule for availability at https://calendly.com/drgervais/vces-sowk-ptconf
Check out my Virtual Classroom filled with fun activities to do at home.
Resources for Families - District 833 has a website that will link you to a variety of resources from food, mental health, and unemployment and so much more. Bookmark this page for future use: https://www.sowashco.org/about/learning_models/family_resources
Vacations and Other Extended Absences
Illnesses and Absences
Please be sure to call in to our attendance line to report absences or illness: 651-425-7506
Any sick student who is sent to school, or is determined to be sick during the school day, will immediately be sent home.
The 14-day quarantine period will remain in place. If staff or students had close contact with an infected person, the Minnesota Department of Health may direct us to keep them out of school for a minimum of 14 days.
We ask that families be prepared for the possibility that their child’s class could move to distance learning at any time due to a potential COVID-19 exposure.
VCES Information Links
- Family Technology Support Line: Fall 2020 website / 651.425.HELP (4357) - M-F 7:30-4:00
- VNN Channel Page - Tune in each morning at 9:15 am as your Morning Meeting starts!
- Resources for Families: https://www.sowashco.org/about/fall_2020/family_resources
VCES Contact Information
Connha Classon, Principal: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651.425.7503
Kristine McDonald, Assistant Principal: email@example.com / 651.425.7523
Merita LaPlante, Office Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651.425.7501
Jen Gackstetter, Office Assistant: email@example.com / 651.425.7507Jen Gervais, Social Worker: firstname.lastname@example.org / 651.425.7542 (Note Change)