The Cost of Pursuing a Dream
What is the cost of perusing a dream? Optimism.
"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes us...so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past " (Gatsby, 180)
According to NYTimes poll 81% of people believed the American dream was attainable before the recession, afterwards 72% believed it was attainable.
"72% today down from the 81% who felt that way in 2007" (Seelye, What happens to the American Dream in a recession?
This was after countless tries to get a good job only to end up with the one she didn't want to work with in the first place.
"Something between fear and indignation rises in my chest. I want to say, 'Thank you for your time, but this is just an experiment [...] not my actual life'" (Ehrenreich, Serving in Florida)
Hopefulness and confidence about the future or the successful outcome of something
Betrayal and Pessimism Synthesis
But those betrayals cost people in the form of hardship (recession, and Gatsby's death) those hardships eroded on people's optimism until they become cynical and pessimistic. Leaving adults to become doubtful of the future to the point most believe today's kids will have a poorer chance at holding a steady job", and less "opportunity" (Kadlec, Is the American Dream Withering or Just Changing).
- Seelye, Katharine Q. "What Happens to the American Dream in a Recession?" The New York Times 7 May 2009. 5 Jan. 2014 <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/08/us/08dreampoll.html?hp&_r=1&>.
- Wikipedia contributors. "Cynicism (contemporary)." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 26 Nov. 2013. Web. 8 Jan. 2014.
- Ehrenreich, Barbara .. "Barbara Ehrenreich - Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich"alt="Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich." Barbara Ehrenreich. 1 Nov. 2008. NA. 06 Jan. 2014 <http://www.barbaraehrenreich.com/nickelanddimed_excerpt.htm>.
- Sloane, Allan. "Junk mortgages under the microscope." CNNMoney 16 Oct. 2007. CNN. 7 Jan. 2014 <http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/15/markets/junk_mortgages.fortune/index.htm>
- Kadlec, Dan. "Is the American Dream Withering or Just Changing? Read more: Is the American Dream Withering or Just Changing?" TIME 26 Sept. 2013. 7 Jan. 2014 <http://business.time.com/2013/09/26/is-the-american-dream-withering-or-just-changing/>.