ELAR Support Day #2, 11/16/15
Sign in here: go.esc18.net/signin
Here's what to expect today:
- Check in: how are things? (re: lesson planning, the YAG, implementing the "whole cookie" strategy)
- Break down and review of released STAAR & EOC tests
- Resources Share
- "Get Out of the Way" #notalkWC
- Afternoon: Technology Integration Discussion & Planning Session
STAAR Released Questions Sort
- REVIEW the questions from last year’s STAAR and EOC exams
Determine the type of THINKING required to answer each question.
- SORT questions and CREATE CATEGORIES that indicate the thinking required to answer the question
Question: where do we go from here? How will your instructional practices and lesson plans shift to push students’ thinking?
See Region 10 Study Guides here
TEKS Resource System Updates
- Resources: STAAR question stems
- Coming Soon! STAAR question analysis
Resource to locate published literature and obtain audio and pdf versions of texts.
Getting Out of the Way:
#notalkWC No Talk Whole Class
Read Alice Keeler's blog post and challenge regarding student centered classrooms here
Think About It:
"If your classroom was a movie, whose voice would be the main character?"
Tech Tools and Further Planning:
Student Video Creation (why it works: easy to use & acclimate, quick process [one class period]) https://animoto.com/education/classroom
- Students create videos to explain a concept (literary device), visually depict vocabulary words, visually explain an analogy, create book trailers, make connections back to previous works studied
- See student sample here
- Pro tip: make sure the computers you're working with have updated flash players; be sure your students use your educator code to give them the free pro version.
- BE SURE TO get the free educator account, sign up, THEN when you're signed in, click to apply for the free educator account.
- OR steal Kile's code here: a4ekileb6aaf7
Poll students (multiple choice, choose an image, free response, OR click an image) via texting from their phones or from their devices.
It's free, it's awesome, and it's interactive!
Recall: Tech Tools integration Training
Here's the link from a 3 hour presentation on Tech Tools for new teachers: https://www.smore.com/k9f66
Check out StoryCorps
You guys should use these to listen to stories AND record your own!
Also check out #TheGreatListen 2015 and involve your students!
Through the Lens of a Scorer: EOC English Edition
Thursday, December 10th 3:30pm to 5:30pm; register here