Highland Meadows Mavericks News
...Where Expectations are High!
Thank you to each and everyone of you who made it a great year for all students and staff. It truly takes a village and we can proudly proclaim that at Highland Meadows we all work together to make good things happen.
There is still much to complete to have a successful closure this week so please check your e-mail at least twice daily to make sure you are informed. Most importantly, students can get pretty excited about summer break, so keep them engaged and well supervised at all times to ensure a safe and successful week.
Let's finish strong to the last day of school!
Upcoming Events. . . .
Memorial Day – No School
Last day to sign your contract via Oracle
Tuesday May 30:
Field Day PK – 2nd
Awards Ceremony. 3rd -10:00 am; 4th – 9:00
STAAR Results Grade 5
Mr. Peña with admin in the office
Wednesday May 31:
Field Day 3rd, 4th, and 5th Grade
Awards Ceremony PK – 2nd Grade
2nd - 1:30-2:30
Thursday June 1:
Last Day for Students
Half Day - EARLY RELEASE
5th Grade Award Ceremony and Clap-Out
Report cards issued
Labels on Cums
Faculty and staff luncheon
Friday June 2:
June, July, August Birthdays
Liliana Chavira June 14
Mayra Lopez June 23
Robin Eddington June 25
Elsa Segundo July 9
Sharon Salazar July 12
Beverly Tillmon July 13
Dalia Rodriguez July 15
Phyllis Burright July 17
Kathy Brown July 18
Beatriz Gamez July 19
Juan Solis July 23
Cheryl Jackson July 25
Alexandria Lopez July 26
Monica Burns July 29
jason Ortiz August 4
Sybil Hallman August 7
Jose Andrade August 8
Alellda Erebia August 13
Karen Walkup August 16
Medely Galdamez August 24
Maria Pedraza August 21
Sarah Reynolds August 21
Board Goal 3
HME Key Action Goals for 2016-17
- Increase the level of student achievement in Math, Science, and Reading/Language Arts, and Social Studies guided by data.
- Improve purposeful instruction and student engagement in all subject areas through meaningful feedback and professional development.
- Improve the campus climate for faculty, staff, students and parents by providing a safe and supportive learning environment by June 2017.
Carrer Day at HMES
Maverick Safety Patrol helps with the event
June / July Observances
Flag Day June 14
Juneteenth (Emancipation Day in Texas) June 19
Independence Day July 4
Highland Meadows PTA News
2016-17 Highland Meadows PTA Staff Hall of Fame
Join the Highland Meadows PTA Today for only $10
You too can be in the 2016-17 HME PTA Staff Hall of Fame by joining for only $10.
If we can achieve at least 75% staff membership, we will have Jean Days for the rest of the year. The PTA needs you--join today!
Vision and Mission
Vision Statement: Educating. Empowering. Evolving. Everyone.
Mission Statement: Highland Meadows Elementary School strives to be the community leader in providing lifelong learning opportunities for neighborhood families.
The Texas Curriculum Management Program Cooperative, or TCMPC, is a shared service agreement that allows participating ESCs to share the TEKS Resource System.
For a guided tour, first click on the video displayed. While these are not intended to be complete lesson plans, they are a great resource in helping you prepare your lesson plans each week.
SIMPLE BUT POWERFUL POINTERS TO REACH YOUR STUDENTS
1. LO and DOL—post them, include the TEKS number, align your instruction with LO, refer to LO so students will know what they are learning
2. MRS—use at least 2 different MRSs within a 10-15 minute instruction (whiteboard, turn and talk, small group, quick response questions—use random student selection)
3. HOTS—teacher or students ask high order questions:
- How or why
- Real-world connection
- Explain, analyze, classify, compare, evaluate
- Synthesize the content; create a product
- Notebooking strategies; "thoughtful" note-taking (not just copying)
4. Circulate though the classroom checking student work—this is an opportunity to differentiate
5. Use a variety of strategies that address students’ needs—visual, auditory, and kinesthetic
If you have news or pics....
If you have any news or pictures that would be of interest to our campus, please e-mail them to Alex Alvarado at email@example.com . If you send photos, please identify the event or situation and the names of adults in the photo. Also, remember to send all calendar dates of field trips, assemblies, etc. to Rhenda Skinner at firstname.lastname@example.org .