HIVs and AIDs
Facts about HIV and AIDs in Sub Sahara Africa
• In 2012, an estimate 1.6 million people became newly infected with HIV.
• Due to insufficient supply of antiretroviral drugs and health care providers in 2010, only 5 of the 10 million HIV-positive patients in Africa were able to receive treatment.
• Because of HIV/AIDS life expectancy in Sub-Saharan Africa is 54.4 years of age, and in some countries in Africa it's below 49.
• 71 percent of HIV/AIDS related deaths in 2011 were people living in Africa.
HIV/AIDS Statistics in Sub-Saharan Africa
Adults (15-49) prevalence %: 4.9
Women with HIV/AIDS: 12,100,000 (2009)
Children with HIV/AIDS: 2,300,000 (2009)
AIDS deaths: 1,200,000
Orphans due to AIDS: 14,800,000 (2009)
This graph show the amount of children 0-14 in age that are in sub sahara Africa are living with aids and HIV
This graph shows the difference between the life span of people with and without AIDs and as you can see there is a big difference.
Red ribbon stands for HIV/ AIDs awareness
Adults and Children
•More then 1 million Adults and children die every year from HIV/AIDS in Africa alone.
• 91 percent of the worlds HIV positives children live in Africa.