GUNN COUNSELING NEWSLETTER
10th GRADE - WINTER
TRANSLATION OPTIONS AVAILABLE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE
OPCIONES traducción disponible a pie de página
WELCOME TO 2ND SEMESTER
We hope you had a restful and enjoyable holiday season! As we begin second semester, we want to share some tips and information on how to a great second half of sophomore year.
- The Wellness Center is a great place to access counseling services or take a few minutes to reflect and catch your breath
Visit with your teachers during FLEX
Peer Tutoring is available through The Academic Center
Some departments offer afternoon tutoring - ask your teachers about this!
- As always, please feel free to see your counselor with any questions, concerns, or exciting news to share
SUMMER OPPORTUNITIES FAIR
Wednesday, Jan. 29th, 7pm
GUNN HIGH SCHOOL LIBRARY
SAT/ACT TEST PREP
Gunn Counseling is excited to introduce Naviance Test Prep—a valuable tool to help students prepare for the SAT and ACT exams. These test prep plans are free-of-charge to all Gunn students, and are a great resource to help with reaching post high school goals.
Naviance Test Prep allows students to:
- Plan a study schedule according to your SAT/ACT test date or when you wish to be fully prepared
- Determine and strategize your SAT/ACT test readiness to success
- Review necessary knowledge for each exam through lessons, flashcards, practice questions, and tests
- Enjoy the Game Center while boosting your test-taking strategies
You can also access an overview video at the following link - Naviance Test Prep.
Please have your student see their counselor for more information!
SPRING CLUB FAIR
Friday, Jan. 31st, 12:30pm
GUNN HIGH SCHOOL QUAD
2020-2021 COURSE SELECTION
2020-2021 Course Selection will run from February 10-28th. Similar to last year, students will request courses online through Infinite Campus. Be sure to check the Gunn website in the coming weeks for tutorials, forms, and the 2020-2021 Course Catalog.
When considering next year's class load, we encourage you to pursue balance and allow enough time for your personal/social life, academic challenges, and extracurricular commitments. Teachers and counselors are excellent resources to explore and learn about course offerings as well as most appropriate course placement.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please include "Alternates" when selecting courses to ensure that you are placed in classes most appealing to you. Schedule changes in the fall can only be made for courses that are on a student's Requests/Alternates list.
SUMMER SCHOOL 2020
PAUSD offers summer school courses primarily for credit recovery. In this event, students will be registered by their counselor for recommended classes beginning in mid-March and notified of their enrollment by mid-May.
Students may register online for the following classes (subject to change) :
1. Economics (rising 12th graders only)
2. Geometry A (rising 10th graders only)
3. Living Skills (rising 11th and 12th graders only)
4. Core Topics of IAC: Bridge to Calculus (rising 12th graders only, Session I)
4. Transition to Calculus Ideas (rising 11th and 12th graders, Session II)
Course registration links will go online on "ASAP" on March 11.
See the PAUSD Summer School website for more information.