The Petty Post
February 5, 2021
Note from Administration
WC Petty Families,
February is Black History Month -- the traditional time to recognize what African-American women and men have given to the world. February was chosen for Black History Month because it is the birth month of Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass, two figures instrumental in the abolition of slavery.
At WC Petty we value all types of diversity and are dedicated to creating a community enriched by young girls and boys of diverse backgrounds and are respectful of differences.
The district is currently in the process of revamping our curriculum and aligning a district focus on equity. Much of this work is being completed by our District Equity Leadership Team (DELT). This work is vital as we move forward to ensure all of our students are represented in our day-to-day operations.
While this essential work is being completed, we are continuing with our look at black leaders throughout different mediums. We are using resources such as Scholastic News and our MyView ELA curriculum to learn about different black leaders. In addition, there will be classroom discussions around quotes from black leaders during our morning meetings and featuring poems during out morning announcements.
We are excited to be exploring more diverse historical figures throughout our curriculum.
Diverse perspectives and experiences are central to academic excellence because they expand creative thought and broaden understanding of ourselves and our world.
Joanna Gerritsen and Jared Reardon
W.C. Petty Elementary
A Look at a Featured Author for Black History Month
D34 Covid-19 Dashboard
Information for Families:
Antioch CCSD 34 is working to provide families with the necessary information regarding Covid-19 in the district. Up to this point your building principal was sending out an email notification if there was a positive case in the building. We will now be transitioning to a Covid-19 Dashboard that will be updated daily for Antioch CCSD 34 that will provide you the information for each of the sites in the district in place of an email blast. The buildings will continue to notify a family directly if they have a child who is a close contact to a positive case. The Covid-19 dashboard will contain information on new positive cases for staff and students, new student/staff in quarantine (including those being a close contact to someone on campus or close contacts to cases outside of school). This will go live on February 5th for the first time so beginning that day families can check back on a daily basis for updates at: Antioch CCSD 34 Covid-19 Dashboard
Kindness Challenge and Dress Down Week - Starting Monday
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 923 4779 7631
Picture Day - Coming Soon!
- Students who are in Group A will have their pictures taken at school on Tuesday, February 9th (Retakes, March 30).
- Students in Group B will have their pictures taken at school on Friday, February 19th (Retakes April 1).
- Remote-only learners will have picture days on Friday, February 19th or Thursday, April 1st between 3:00-5:00pm. Here is the picture sign-up form for REMOTE ONLY learners.
NWEA MAP Testing
We will be NWEA testing this month!
What is NWEA Testing (aka MAP Testing)?
- Individual teachers will share their exact testing schedule with families next week.
- MAP Growth is a standardized test that compares our D34 students to students nationally that have taken the test within the same window.
- These scores helps teachers understand what students know today, so goals can be set to improve growth throughout the remainder of the year.
- This test will not affect grades.
- We understand that student scores will look different this year as we have been remote for an extended period of time. However, scores will still be beneficial for us as we continue analyzing how to best assist each student at Petty.
- We appreciate your patience during our testing window as we expect to experience glitches throughout the remote proctoring of the test.
COVID or Health Related Questions
Technology Difficulties While Remote?
If your child is experiencing technical difficulties while they are learning from home, you will be able to fill out a TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT TICKET. You will no longer report it to their teacher. Here is the link to the form: W.C. Petty Elementary Tech Trouble Ticket Submission
You can also find this link on our district webpage under the technology department heading. (Technology Resources and Support page)
When filling out this ticket, please provide as much specific information as you are able to about the nature of your problem so that we can quickly assist you.