Using Google Apps for Education
Unit: Google Apps - Lesson 3
Aim: Students will learn about and create Google Docs.
Do Now: Sit down quietly and log into your computer and Google. (3 mins)
Document: a computer file that contains text that you have written.
Presentation: the way in which something is arranged, designed.
Spreadsheet: a document that has columns and rows which are used to calculate numbers and organize information.
What is Google Apps for Education?
Google Drive also give you access to Google Docs, a suite of tools that allow you to create and edit a variety of different files, like Documents, Spreadsheets, and Presentations.
In this lesson, you'll learn how to create files in Google Docs format. In addition, you'll also learn about using templates to create professional looking documents
There are five types of docs that you can create:
- Documents (like documents in Microsoft Word)
- Spreadsheets (like worksheets in Microsoft Excel)
- Presentations (like presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint)
Take a look at this impressive video about what Google Apps can do:
Watch the video below to learn how to create Google Documents.
How do I create a document in Google Drive?
Follow these steps to access Google Drive:
- Go to www.google.com
- On the top right hand corner click: Sign In
- Enter your @sunsetparkprep.com login ID
- Enter your password
- Click on the 9 tiny squares on the top right hand side which are next to your account name.
- Click "Drive"
To Create a New Document:
- Locate and click the red Create button.
- Select the type of doc you would like to create from the drop-down menu. Your new doc will open automatically in a new tab on your browser.
- At the top of the page, click on Untitled document. The Rename Document box will appear.
- Type a name for your doc, then click OK.
You may notice that there is no save button. This is because Google Docs uses auto-save, which automatically and immediately saves your files as you edit them.
Next Steps / Homework
If you are doing this at home show your family how amazing Google can be!