11/08/23 HS Newsletter (day 1)
Para leer en español, haga clic en el botón "Traducir (Translate)" arriba.
Please see the newsletter below for the most recent SHHS announcements, school highlights, upcoming events and a list of useful contacts and resources. Have a great day!
TODAY IS DAY 1.
Saturday Academy: Join us for our very 1st Saturday Academy on November 18th! There'll be free breakfast, interactive activities and several community partners sharing essential information with families. Take family pictures at our photo booth, get your faces painted, participate in a healthy cooking session and so much more! Community & family members, click here to learn more about how you can get involved! Staff members can apply internally or reach out to Dr. Audrey Brutus. High school students looking to volunteer for community service hours can sign up in the HS main office!
- REMINDER: There will be a MANDATORY SHADE Intern Training TODAY after school at 3:15 in 303N. Please see Ms. Goldstein if you have any questions.
- The Music Production/Tiny Desk Concert Club will meet TODAY at 3pm in Mr. Day's room. All club members should attend.
- There will be a brief outdoors club meeting TODAY at 3:00 in 108 west to discuss our upcoming hike. Please be there to discuss details.
- There will be a PAW Club meeting TODAY at 3pm in room 205W. Anyone is welcome to join!
- Attention Seniors!!! Senior Portrait Dates are currently open and available to make appointments: Today November 8th, tomorrow November 9th, and December 7th. There will be no senior portrait sittings past December 2023. Directions for signup can be found on the Yearbook Google Classroom. If you have any questions or if you have trouble signing up, please reach out to your Yearbook Advisors - Mrs. Katsman (Room 211W) or Mrs. Adamo (Room 210W).
- A Pace University college representative will visit with our students tomorrow, Thursday, November 9th at 1:00 PM. Please sign up through Naviance.
- Due to the library closing, all library books are due back on November 22nd.
- The ASL club will have their initial meeting Tuesday, November 14th in the library. Please stop by if you are interested.
- The following students must see Mrs. Bonitatibus in guidance to collect their yearbooks: Maya Batheja, Aaron Bell, Nathaniel Bell, Lang Cawley, Egz Dak, Kayla McGuigan, Joshua Miller, Matthew Schatzel, Miles Sheridan, and Karina Dakota Vizcaino
- The following people need to hand in uniforms back to Mrs. Persad: Heidy Garay, Penny McVey, Camila Hilario, Michelle Orellana, & Sophia McLaurin. You may leave it in her mailbox. Please make sure it has your name on it. Thank you!
- The Foreign Language Honor Society is hosting their annual "International Banquet" on November 16 @6:00 pm. The Cost is $5.00 STUDENTS & $10 ADULTS. Come and enjoy delicious foods from all over the world.
- Any student that is interested in participating in Winter Sports, FamilyID is now open. The FamilyID link can be found on the HS webpage, under Athletics.
- Today, November 8th the Community Wardrobe will be offering free winter clothing for the whole family. Items that will be available are coats, gloves, hats, scarves, and boots. You must have an appointment to shop. This event is free to local residents in need of winter gear. Please use the following link https://signup.com/go/mrtWWWA or OR code to make a reservation to shop. You may also stop by the main office to pick up a flier with further information.
- The Math Honor Society will once again sponsor the Mathematical Association of American's AMC 10 and 12 Math Competitions. The AMC 10/12 provides an opportunity for high school students to develop positive attitudes towards analytical thinking and mathematics that can assist in future careers. The AMC 10/12 is the first in a series of competitions that eventually lead all the way to the International Mathematical Olympiad. The AMC 10/12 will be administered on Wednesday, Nov. 8th during periods 7 and 8. Please email Mrs. Walsh or see your math teacher if interested.
- SHHS Cares is sponsoring a sneaker drive. We are in need of new or gently used sneakers for all ages. All donations are distributed back to the community through the non-profit organization 914Cares. Boxes will be located at the main entrance and by the gym. Please support our club.
- Attention all students & staff: The fitness center is open Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 6:40am for any student or staff member interested in using it. Haven’t ever worked out before or intimidated by the exercise machine thing? No problem Coach/trainer Mr. DiLorenzo is there to help show you and program for you if needed or wanted.
- TUFSD Family Cultural Inventory: We're delighted to invite you to participate in our Family Cultural Survey—a fantastic opportunity to celebrate the diverse tapestry of cultures that make each family special and unique. This short survey aims to discover the rich traditions, values, and experiences that shape your family identity so we can accommodate and support your children in our schools. https://forms.gle/b5wWywnjqrhv3qoV6
Social media tips for parents/guardians from our School Resource Officer, Officer Steven Bencosme:
- Parenting Suggestions Regarding Technology
- How to Support Your Child’s Social-Emotional Health / Cómo apoyar la salud socioemocional de su niño
- Parent Ultimate Guide to Instagram / Guía para padres sobre Instagram
- Tik Tok Guide for Parents/Guardians
- Snapchat Safety Resources for Parents
- A Parent’s Guide to Snapchat
BLUE LIGHTS OUTSIDE OF SCHOOLS:
- Blue lights flashing notify people outside of schools that the school is on LOCKDOWN.
- Please remember NOT to enter a school when the blue light box outside of the school is flashing blue.
- All of our schools have one or more blue light boxes throughout the outside of the school. The box is gray and has a strobe light that will flash blue when activated.
- Please be advised that we do activate the blue strobe lights during our lockdown DRILLS as well.
COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES:
- Community Wardrobe is looking for help running their free pop-up shop on North Washington Street this Tuesday, November 7th. This is an outdoor event, and they especially need help setting up clothing racks in the morning and bringing everything back inside in the afternoon. All volunteers must sign up at https://signup.com/go/UrcRaXd. You can also scan the following QR code.
- The District will be starting Saturday Academies and are looking for student volunteers to participate! Do you have a special skill/interest area that you'd like to share with children and families? If so, consider facilitating an activity with them. You can also volunteer with setup, cleanup, serving families, etc. The first Academy will be on 11/18 from 9-11 am at Washington Irving School. If interested, please sign up in the HS main office to earn community service hours.
November 18th will mark the start of our Saturday Academy, a program designed to cultivate family engagement and enrich the educational experience of students in a fun and interactive manner. One Saturday a month, community partners, district staff and the PTA will collaborate to provide a culturally responsive space and programming where students can have breakfast, explore their interests, develop new skills, and bond with their families in a supportive and nurturing environment. Community & family members, click here to learn more about how you can get involved! Staff members can apply internally or reach out to Dr. Audrey Brutus.
After thorough consideration and careful planning, the Board of Education approved a resolution that proposes a bond vote on December 12, 2023.
This capital plan will play a crucial role in supporting our mission to create a safe, nurturing, and enriching learning environment for all of our students. It will help to address many infrastructure needs across our school district. Our schools have been the heart of our community for generations. It is our responsibility to ensure that they continue to remain places where our children can thrive academically and emotionally.
Additional information on the proposed bond can be found in the following resources:
Over the course of the next few weeks, leading up to the vote, we will provide various opportunities for our community to learn more about the bond. In the meantime, I want to thank you for your ongoing support of our schools.
- 11/8 - Community Meeting Schedule
- 11/9 - Final day of first quarter
- 11/9 - HS Family Science Night - 6:30 p.m. in various Science classrooms
- 11/10 - No school - Veterans Day
- 11/13 - Winter Sports begin
- 11/16 - Foreign Language Honor Society International Banquet - 6:00 - 8:00 p.m. cafeteria - stop by for some delicious food!
- 11/17 - Sophomore Career Day (grade-level field trip)
- 11/17 - 1st Quarter Report cards published on the parent portal
- 11/17-11/18 Fall Drama - 12 Angry Jurors (Friday 7 p.m.; Saturday 2 and 7 p.m.).
- 11/22 - ½ day for Staff and students
- 11/23-11/26 Thanksgiving Recess
- 11/30 - Start of the Godwin Basketball tournament