Bowling Green High School
December 18, 2015
Thank you to everyone who sponsored/donated to our Purple Angels this year. Because of your generosity, we were able to serve 86 BGHS students with a Christmas. When parents sign their children up, we always inform them that this program is a supplemental program and is not intended to be a full Christmas. However, every time I hand over gifts to a parent, I am happy to say it is typically much more than they expect. We don't always get to see the end result of our efforts but know that there will be joy on Christmas morning for 86 of our students. In addition, there are 30 BGHS students being served through other school programs within our district.
Misti Carrigan and Olivia Perdue
Purples Speech Team Prove Themselves at Hilltopper Classic
BGHS' six Purple Speakers made an excellent showing at the very competitive Hilltopper Classic. Competing alongside teams from all over the country, we placed 7th out of 26 teams with four entries advancing to Final Rounds.
Declamation Champion - Chapel Tinius
Declamation 4th Place - Catherine Harris
Humorous Interpretation 6th Place - Cole Vaughan
Storytelling 7th Place - Cole Vaughan
For his success in Humorous Interpretation, Cole now qualifies for the University of KY Tournament of Champions to be held in April, 2016 and has earned half of the requirement for the National TOC. Additionally, NSDA members Zack Martin, Chapel Tinius, and Cole Vaughan have earned points towards their Honor Society Degrees.
Zack Martin and Chapel Tinius have also reached the Excellence level with 156 and 231 points respectively. Cole Vaughan has earned a Distinguished Degree with 317 points.
Tre Fant Competes in Best of the Bluegrass Football Game
Purples Swimmers - Tidal Wave of Success
Congrats to the boys and girls swim and dive teams on winning the Hilltopper Championship Saturday!
50 Freestyle 1st Place – Brett Lathrem
50 Freestyle 2nd Place – Hunter Eaton
50 Freestyle 3rd Place – Garrett Strickler
100 Backstroke 3rd Place – Clay Marsh
100 Breaststroke 2nd Place – Dylan Taylor
100 Breaststroke 3rd Place – Hunter Eaton
100 Butterfly 1st Place – Neal Morsi
200 Freestyle Relay 1st Place with Clay Marsh, Cole Chaudoin, Hunter Eaton, Garrett Strickler
200 Individual Medley 2nd Place – Neal Morsi
200 Individual Medley 3rd Place –Clay Marsh
200 Freestyle 3rd Place – Cole Chaudoin
200 Medley Relay 1st Place – Hunter Eaton, Brett Lathrem, Dylan Taylor, and Neal Morsi
500 Freestyle 2nd Place – Cole Chaudoin
50 Freestyle 2nd Place – Elizabeth Watts
50 Freestyle 3rd Place – Nicole McGee
50 Freestyle 6th Place – Reagan Fields
100 Backstroke 1st Place – Cassie Vaughn
100 Breaststroke 1st Place – Paige Fields
100 Breaststroke 2nd Place – Samantha Sutton
100 Breaststroke 3rd Place – Hannah Walker
100 Breaststroke 6th Place – Halle Freeman
100 Butterfly 3rd Place – Hannah Walker
100 Butterfly 4th Place – Emily Eaves
100 Freestyle 5th Place – Nicole McGee
100 Freestyle 6th Place – Cassie Vaughn
200 Ind. Medley 1st Place – Paige Fields
200 Ind. Medley 2nd Place – Samantha Sutton
200 Freestyle 1st Place – Emily Eaves
200 Freestyle 2nd Place – Sallie Sutton
200 Medley Relay 2nd Place – Sallie Sutton, Samantha Sutton, Hannah Walker, and Elizabeth Watts
200 Freestyle Relay 1st Place with Paige Fields, Elizabeth Watts, Emily Eaves, and Nicole McGee
500 Freestyle 1st Place – Sallie Sutton
500 Freestyle 5th Place – Kate Chaudoin
Girls Diving Results:
5th Place – Madeline Jones
8th Place – Alexa Thompson
Boys Diving Results:
1st Place – Conner Twyman
2nd Place – Kyle Bragg
4th Place – King Spencer
BGHS Cheerleaders Captured KHSAA Large-Division 3rd Place Finish
Voice of the Purples, Joe Brunk, Receives Broadcast Award
Lady Purples Remain Unbeaten
Lady Purples remain unbeaten after this week’s win over the Lady Gators 77-57
BG Boys Rolling Hard
Our Purples beat Greenwood 85-61 Tuesday night and are gearing up for tournament play in Louisville beginning this weekend in the King of the Bluegrass Tournament.
BGHS Choir Performed With Orchestra Kentucky on Monday Night
BGHS' Taste of Christmas Concert Series = AMAZING
Taste of Christmas was one for the memory book. Each year it gets better and better. Thank you to the BGHS Choir and our director, Trish Beresford.
One of the Best Pieces of Music Ever Written...
FAFSA Completion in January
Seniors will have the opportunity to get their FAFSA done during English class the first week back from Christmas break. It will be helpful for students to have a copy of family tax returns (Form 1040) from 2014 with them. If you don't feel comfortable sending a copy with your student, we will have a family FAFSA Completion Session on Thursday, January 7 from 6-8ppm. It will be in the Math Lab. Please contact Mrs. O'Rourke for any questions.
AP Literature and AP Language Mock Exams in January
From Ms. Croney and Ms. Skillern: AP Lit and AP Lang seniors and juniors will take their full-length mock exams on Saturday, January 9th, from 7:45-11:45am, in the Library and in Mr. Skillern's room. This is a wonderful opportunity to assess individual strengths and target areas for growth as we head into our final four months together.
Purple's Football Dates
Two important dates: Winter Program begins January 4th and the Football Banquet will be held on January 31st.
If interested in Winter Program, ALL new student-athletes attending must have completed KHSAA physical/paperwork.
If you have alumni news, we'd love to hear about it and share it with the rest of Purple Nation. Send all news to email@example.com with a subject line: 'Newsletter.'
2017 Tour to Germany, Switzerland, Italy, and France
Community Coffee's Community Cash For Schools Program
For Questions or to Turn In Proof of Purchase - See Tracy Imel at BGHS
Kroger Community Rewards Program
Register online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up. (If you don't yet have a Kroger Plus card, they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.)
- Click on Sign In/Register
- If you are a new online customer, you need to click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering your zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number or name of organization, select organization from list and click on confirm. BGHS' NPO number is 22915
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for your group until after your member(s) register their card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
FROM THE BOWLING GREEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Substitute Teachers Wanted
Substitute Teachers are needed for the 2015-16 school year.
Application packets may be obtained online or picked up at the Central Office between the hours of 8:00am - 4:00pm.
Substitute teachers must have 64 college hours and a minimum overall GPA of 2.7.
For more information go to: http://www.bgreen.kyschools.us/Content2/378
BGISD Inclement Weather Plans
BGISD Adopts 2016-2017 Calendar
The Following Week
AND... The Following Week
Back to School on January 4th, 2016
Monday 1/4/2016 - First Day Back from Break; 3rd Quarter Begins
Friday 1/15/2016 - Baseball Chili Supper, 5PM @ BGHS Commons
Monday 1/18/2016 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL
Thursday 1/21/2016 - 3rd Quarter Parent Night, 4-6PM @ BGHS Commons
- (More information coming after the break.)
Monday 2/15/2016 - President's Day - NO SCHOOL
- (Tentative Make-Up Day Should There Be Cancellation of School Before This Date)
Sunday 2/21/2016 - BGHS Princess Tea - Christ Episcopal Church
- More information coming soon
Thursday & Friday 3/10-3/11/2016 - BGISD Mini-Break - NO SCHOOL
- (Tentative Make-Up Days Should There Be Cancellation of School Before These Dates)