Culver Elementary March Newsletter
From the Desk of Mrs. Proskey
The VARSITY SHOP IS NOW ONLINE!!!!!
Dates to Remember...
- 3/1- ISTEP+ TESTING BEGINS (3/1-3/11)
- 3/2- 6th Grade Basketball Pictures 3:10pm
- 3/2- "Books for Babies" Book Drive begins (3/2-3/21)
- 3/2- PTO Meeting in the CES LIbrary @ 6:00pm
- 3/7- School Board Meeting @ Admin Building @ 7:00pm
- 3/10- Kindergarten Round-Up in CES Cafeteria at 6:00pm
- 3/11- BoxTops Due
- 3/11- End of grading period
- 3/14- IREAD3 Test
- 3/15- Student Council Meets in the Pit @ 7:45am
- 3/16- ISTEP+ 3rd grade PILOT Test
- 3/16- Report Cards will be sent home
- 3/17- Yearbook orders DUE $14.00 each
- 3/17- Shakespeare Play @ 6:30pm
- 3/12- School Board Meeting @ Admin Building @ 7:00pm
- 3/24- R.E.A.D. Party
- 3/25- Make-Up Day for 2/24 (School In Session)
- 3/28- Spring Break Begins (March 28th-April 8th)
- 4/1- Intersession Begins (April 4th-April 7th)
Pictures from the K-12 Corporation Pep Rally for Wrestler Triston Rodriguez
This Week's Menu (Feb.29- Mar 4)
- Breakfast-Mini Waffles/ Cereal with Cracker
- Lunch- Chicken Nuggets with Mashed Potatoes/ Z-Rib Sandwich
- Breakfast- Eggstravaganza w/toast/ Cereal with Cracker
- Lunch- Quesadilla W/ Broccoli / Chicken Salad Sandwich with String Cheese
- Breakfast- Breakfast Pizza/ Cereal with Cracker
- Lunch- Popcorn Chicken and Mashed Potatoes/ Sloppy Joe Sandwich
- Breakfast- Breakfast Cavalier Bowl/ Cereal with Cracker
- Lunch- French Toast with Sausage Links/ Salad Bar
- Breakfast- Mini Pancakes/ Cereal with Cracker
- Lunch- Pizza with Green Beans/ Fish Sandwich
This Week's Sporting Events
ISTEP+ Schedule for March
- Please make sure that your children are in attendance during testing dates.
- Get a good night's sleep
- Eat a healthy breakfast
- Remember... Do your best....It's just another test! :)
- 3rd Grade students will have to take a PILOT ISTEP+ Test on 3/16 that isn't listed.
Senate Passes Bill Removing ISTEP 2017-2018 School Year
By Zach Osowski, email@example.com
INDIANAPOLIS -- After a controversial 2015 test and votes of no confidence from parents, teachers, school administrators and lawmakers, the ISTEP is on its way out of Indiana.
The Indiana Senate passed House Bill 1395 on Tuesday, doing away with ISTEP after the 2017 test and setting up a panel to find a new statewide assessment for the 2017-18 school year.
The bill passed 38-10 after receiving strong support in the Indiana House. The Democrats who voted against the bill are for the elimination of ISTEP, but have a quarrel with who will lead the new committee.
Sen. Earline Rogers, D-Gary, said she was voting against the bill because the chair of the committee will be an appointee of Gov. Mike Pence. She said committee members should vote on who the chair or co-chairs of the committee would be, advocating for State Superintendent of Public Instruction Glenda Ritz to have a leadership position.
"For us to have our state superintendent of instruction, where the buck basically stops, not have an opportunity to chair, that's my objection to this," Rogers said. "We certainly know there needs to be changes to the ISTEP."
Indiana's contract with Pearson, who will administer the 2016 and 2017 tests, runs out after the 2017 test. The 22-member panel will choose a new test by the end of this year. The bill stipulates the new test can be an assessment currently used by Indiana schools or something new. The goals of the new test will be reduced testing time, reduced cost and increased transparency.
Pence, Ritz, House Speaker Brian Bosma and Senate Leader David Long will all have a say in who sits on the committee. They will appoint teachers, principals, superintendents and testing experts.
HB 1395 also mandates that ISTEP results get to teachers and schools no later than July 1 in the same year the test is administered. The 2015 ISTEP results weren't finalized until January 2016.
Legislative leaders in both parties have been outspoken about the failings of ISTEP. Lawmakers hurriedly pushed through two bills protecting teachers and schools from poor scores resulting from the 2015 test.
"ISTEP is a broken brand," Bosma said. "We need to move on."
The bill was altered slightly from the version the House passed and those changes will need to be approved by author Rep. Robert Behning, R-Indianapolis, before the bill goes to Pence's desk.
Senators Reject Making Superintendent Ritz Ro-chair of ISTEP Panel
We recently alerted members that, among other things, HB 1395 would create a new panel tasked with evaluating and replacing ISTEP.
With the amendment unsuccessful, the panel would be chaired by a hand-picked appointee of Gov. Pence. The panel chair isn’t even required to have a background in public education.
We maintain that no ISTEP panel has legitimacy in the eyes of educators and parents without the State Superintendent of Public Instruction appointed at least as co-chair. The fact that Superintendent Ritz has been excluded is another example of the legislative and gubernatorial power-grabs she has faced since her election.
HB 1395 is eligible for a final vote as early as Tuesday.
This Month's CES Girl's Basketball Practice/Game Schedule
6th Grade Girls Basketball INFO:
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Coach Chris Stevens at 574-216-5007.
- (3/14) 3:15-4:45 6th Girls BBall
- (3/1) & (3/8) 3:15-4:45 6th Girls BBall
- (3/2) 3:15-5:00 6th Girls BBall
- (3/10) 5:00-7:30 6th Girls BBall
- (3/4 & 3/11) 2:45-4:15 6th Girls BBall
- 3/3- 5:00 @ Home VS. North Liberty
- 3/7- 5:00 @ Rochester
- 3/9- 4:30 @ Home VS. Argos
- 3/12- 9:00 @ Tippy Valley (Tourney)
- 3/15- 5:00 @ Home VS. Bremen
- 3/16- 5:30 @ Home VS. OD
6th Grade Future City Competition
Future City Engages Kids in Engineering and so Much More....
The Future City Competition is a national, project-based learning experience where students in 6th grade imagine, design, and build cities of the future. Students work as a team with an educator and engineer mentor to plan cities using SimCity software: research and write solutions to an engineering problem; build tabletop scale models with recycled materials; and present their ideas before judges.
The teams will meet on Tuesdays from 3:05 to 4:15 in the Science Lab with Mr. Daugherty.
Dates of the Meetings will be 3/1, 3/8, 3/15 & 3/22.
Blessings in a Backpack Needs Packing Volunteers!!!
If you would like to help volunteer packing Blessings Backpacks, please see times and dates below.... (it usually takes about an hour)
Please mark or update your calendars to reflect the following times and change of time:
Sunday, February 28 set up @ 12:30 p.m.
Monday, February 29 packing @ 4:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 3 set up @ 12:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 6 packing @ 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 11 set up @ 4:30
Thursday, May 12 packing @ 4:30 pm
All set up and packing is done at Culver Bible Church, 718 S. Main Street in Culver.
Dianne, Stephanie and Tracy
Blessings in a Backpack Coordinators
CES Community Volunteer Program
CES Loves it's Volunteers!!!!