The Spartan Scoop
Happenings, need-to-knows, & more from Campbell Counseling
Welcome to the October 2020 issue of the Spartan Scoop!
We look forward to keeping you IN.THE.KNOW. of all things college, career, academic, and social emotional via The Spartan Scoop. BOLO for it monthly! It is chock-full of information so pay attention!
We are less than one month away until we transition to face-to-face learning should this be your choice. If your family did not elect your choice for face-to-face or remote learning, feel free to email your counselor to update this option.
Did you know the enrolling adult can update all information like address changes, phone numbers, emails, and more via ParentVue? Don't have ParentVue? Email a picture of your photo ID to firstname.lastname@example.org
Now...scroll down to the different sections to see what you can tap into! The pictures/flyers are clickable with more information along with hyper-links that are clickable for your convenience.
The School Counseling Team!
Kl-P: Yolanda Wright
Q-Roc/AVID/ESOL: Kristin Schloemer Bryant
Rod-Z: Rotarsha Jackson
Registrar & Dual Enrollment: Jana Loftin
Program Specialist: Hillary Reiner
Graduation Coach: Judy Hays
College & Career Consultant: Janet Ndah
Records Clerk: DeUndra Askew
Counseling Clerk: Cornelia Washington
If you need to speak with your counselor or another team member, email them to set up an appointment via Zoom or phone call.
Get to know the CHS Counseling Team!
Mrs. Schloemer Bryant graduated from Valdosta State University in 2000 and started her career in 2001 as a Cobb County High School Spanish teacher and then an AVID teacher. This led her to think how she could help students more than just in the Spanish classroom. She decided to take the same career assessment as her students and that is where she discovered that School Counseling may be the career for her.
She spent two years at the University of Georgia as a full-time graduate student in the Masters of School Counseling program and also worked as an advisor of student groups in the Multicultural Services and Programs office.
She rejoined Cobb County School District in 2008 as a school counselor and has loved every minute of this challenging job and working with students. She transferred from Wheeler HS to Campbell HS in 2016 and is the Lead of the department.
She is married and has a 2.5 year old daughter. She enjoys glamping in their travel trailer, the beach, is an avid UGA Football fan and an Atlanta United fan. Mrs Schloemer Bryant loves reality tv (RHO...) when she has control of the remote (we watch alot of kiddie shoes with a 2.5 y/o). She supports and raises funds every year for Cystic Fibrosis.
Last but not least, she misses her students A LOT!
Info for ALL Grade Levels!
Social Emotional Wellness for Families K-12 10/13 6:30pm
Social Emotional Learning for Families Webinar
Join us on Tuesday, October 13th at 6:30pm
Ms Emily Lawery, CCSD's Social Emotional Learning Specialist and a Licensed Professional Counselor, will be presenting the importance of social and emotional needs of students, parents and caregivers. She will be available to answer your questions and give ideas to use at home with your family. This event is for families K-12.
*Register here for the event: tinyurl.com/selchswebinar
Upcoming workshops from our College & Career Center!
Please register for these upcoming workshops! We will send the link to the registrants the morning of the event to participate in the zoom meeting.
- Oct 14th - 11:00 SAT vs ACT: Inside look at the SAT & ACT. What are the differences & which is right for you? *Register here to attend. Event code is M414643
- Nov 11th - 11:00 Personality Profile: Thought provoking questions leading to an understanding of who you are. (Sherita Sutton, Aviation Institute of Maintenance). *Register here to attend.
- Nov 18th- 11:00 My Life After High School: Explore the different paths available (Sherita Sutton, Aviation Institute of Maintenance). *Register here to attend.
Do you know what it takes to be promoted at the end of the year? Your grades right now could have an impact on whether you are promoted to the next grade or not. Check out below what is required to be promoted!
Here is some info about scholarships that may be helpful:
-All Scholarships we receive at CHS are posted in Naviance. Some scholarships are not current for this year but will be soon. Keep checking back at least once a week to see what has been added and what you qualify for.
-Scholarships can come from local agencies, corporations, organizations, employers, or the colleges themselves. Did you know that scholarships from the colleges usually have an earlier deadline that the regular admissions deadline??? This means you need to apply/plan early!
-Many of our local scholarships debut in the spring.
-Not all scholarships require the highest and best GPA or test scores. Some honor leadership initiatives, community service hours or writing the winning essay on a random topic.
-See this helpful document about those scholarship sites: Six great options to finding scholarships
-Other helpful resources can be found on the CHS Counseling website Scholarship page.
-HOPE Scholarship Program info can be found here.
Are you interested in Dual Enrollment for Spring 2021?
DE Deadline for Spring 2021 is Nov 1st!
- Jrs & Srs (new to DE) who would like to participate in Dual Enrollment for Spring must watch this webinar. Counseling DE Site. At the conclusion of the webinar, all interested DE students will be required to email Mrs. Loftin to set up an appointment.
- Are you bilingual? Do you want to be an Educator in the future? Ga State University offers a dual enrollment program for students who are interested in becoming a bilingual educator (a HUGE need in the field). If this is something that interests you, sign up HERE to attend the interest meeting which will be Wednesday, Nov 11th at 11am. Registrants will be sent the code to join the meeting.
SENIORS---CLASS OF 2021!!!
Check out this info....
- Students who plan to enroll into college for Summer or Fall 2021, have you started your applications yet? Early deadlines are approaching and then regular deadlines will approach even quicker than you think! Do not wait to complete your applications!
- Remember, if you are applying to a Common Application school, you must match it in your Naviance account.
- Please go to this link to watch the mandatory Senior Seminar videos if you have not done so already (non-IB only!)
- The FAFSA application is OPEN! Some colleges have extra funds for those who apply early. You snooze, you loose!
- Are you taking advantage of College Visits? If not, log into your Naviance account and go to the colleges tab and then college visits. All visits are virtual and are happening outside of instructional time.
- Scholarships are posted in Naviance! Log into your Naviance account and go to the Colleges Tab and then Scholarships to view the long list of scholarships. Some have not been updated from last year but will be updated when we receive current information. Please note that 97% of scholarships happen year after year. Target the ones you are eligible for and set a reminder in your phone to come back to it around the time frame it is due.
- If you are unsure of what you want to do after graduation or need assistance helping your post-graduation plans come to fruition, please email your counselor to make an appointment with them. Appointments can be done via Zoom or call. It is expected that you watch the Senior Seminar video(s) before your appointment.
- Herff Jones-Cap & Gown, invitation and other grad supplies
- Cady Studios-Senior Portraits
- Senior Dues/activities/etc. Please email the senior sponsors: Mrs. Campbell or Ms. Martin
Do you need an official transcript for college admissions or a scholarship?
1. In Naviance, add the college to your "Applying to" list and request a transcript for it (skip this step if it is not for college admissions).
2. Go to MyPaymentsPlus and pay for it. You will be prompted to fill out a form along with the payment. Each transcript will be a single submission. All transcripts are $2.
African-American Senior Ladies with a minimum 3.0 GPA-Check out this opportunity!
JUNIORS--CLASS OF 2022!!!
Junior Advisement Conferences--ACTION REQUIRED!
*Junior Advisement Conferences!* Every Junior receives a 20-30 min one-on-one virtual session with their Counselor during the months of Oct & Nov. Families are invited & encouraged to attend. For families who signed up for an appointment time of their choice, they will take place Oct 19-30th. For families, who did not select their appointment time, you will be assigned an appointment time and will be notified of that soon.
The following topics will be discussed at this Junior Advisement Appointment: courses needed for graduation, elective registration for the 2021-22 school year and explore your post-graduation plans.
SOPHOMORES---CLASS OF 2023!!!
HOBY Leadership & Service Program
Deadline to register is Dec 4th, 2020.
If you are interested in being nominated for this program, please contact Dr. Amand. She will inform you of next steps.
FRESHMAN---CLASS OF 2024!!!
Do you know what it takes...
- To graduate??
Check out the document to view what credits are needed for graduation. A total of 23 (specific) credits are required. Since we are on a block system with the opportunity to earn 8 credits a year, a student can earn up to 32 credits or more by the time they reach graduation. It isn't a matter of just getting to 23 but rather earning credit in the specific 23 credits.
- Complete a pathway??
We offer various pathways at CHS. To complete a pathway a student must complete 3 courses in the same area. At the end of the pathway, students are given an End of Pathway Assessment where students can become certified or credentialed in that area. These are great resume boosters! Here is a course catalog where you can view the different pathways we offer at CHS. Pay attention to pages 11-12 & 16-24.
- To get involved??
The Child Mind Institute
If you aren't visiting our website on the regular, you are missing out!!!!