Personalized Learning for Mathematics
Dreambox Learning is an adaptive learning system for mathematics. It individualizes math content, difficulty, hints, pace, and sequence of lessons to match a student’s knowledge and learning level in a motivating learning environment. It contains rigorous instructional content—not just skill building or practice/drill. It scaffolds learning, gives immediate feedback and challenges students with the next 'just-right'lesson.
- Review: Dreambox Learning Adaptive Learning Guide
- Conceptual Understanding: Deep Understanding of Mathematical Ideas
- Initial Placement: http://goo.gl/IORVj8
- Continuous Assessment: http://goo.gl/i4FN0W
DreamBox analyzes and responds to every decision a student makes going beyond tracking if a student’s answer was right/wrong and assesses each student on about 60 different behaviors, including the amount of time it takes to solve problem, number of hints used, strategies to construct the answer to a problem.
What are students learning?
- Experience Dreambox Hands-On
- Try sample primary lessons
Select by grade level --> manipulative tutorials, and puzzles for grades K, 1, or 2.
Underlying curriculum develops computational fluency, conceptual understanding, and problem-solving ability, allowing students to enrich and deepen their mathematical thinking.
Learning Environment & Lesson Sequence
1. My House [view adv. friends, certificates earned for completing story lines, points earned in piggy bank which can be spent in arcade games, play with manipulatives used in lessons]
2. Carnival [problem-solving games progressing from levels—not curriculum based & designed to be a reward where kids can spend tokens]
3. Adventure Park [Adaptive lessons -->where kids should spend majority of time]
- Yellow icons: recommended new lessons
- Green: completed lessons
- Star signifies pre-test
- Number on icons represents certain lessons—adapts to sequence for individual students and may work on multiple concepts w/in a lesson
- Backpack: rewards earned
Teacher Tips: Setting Students Up for Success
- Spend the majority of their time in Adventure Park.
- Focus and complete any NEW lessons –icons FLASHING YELLOW. Do at least 2-3 as routine.
- Complete each lesson, regardless of its difficulty. [Students are assessed by using data collected from their completed lessons]
- Work for a minimum of 20 min/session. [each lesson lasts 5-8 min].
- Recommended Usage: 60-90 minute sessions.
- Use HELP & HINT Buttons when needed for repeated directions & added scaffolding.
My House & My Carnival Restrictions
To limit & restrict areas to maximize time on-task learning new mathematics:
Login > My Account > My House/Carnival Restrictions > Edit>Click on days & times accessible
...FOR HOUSTON I.S.D. TRAINING --> JANUARY 2014: