Weekly News & Notes
Week Ending September 16, 2022
School Safety Drill Planned for 9/21
In preparation for the new procedure, all faculty and staff members were trained in August. The staff was engaged in the presentation and asked many thoughtful questions. Since August, we have provided the staff with opportunities to reflect on their specific spaces and on their students' needs, given the changing periods and locations of many of our classes. For this drill, a number of scenarios will be shared, as will a video for students, in small groups, through which the procedures can be understood and operationalized. We anticipate this drill extending for about 45 minutes, after which the regular school day will continue. There will be no actual evacuation or live action as part of this drill, and students will generate feedback on which our crisis response team may reflect.
To ensure that UHS remains safe, we conduct and practice multiple drills: medical emergencies, fire drills, lockdowns, and evacuations. Enhancing our procedures and helping students understand everyone's role will better prepare us, should there ever be an emergency or crisis.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Student Organization Meetings
- Student Council had its first meeting of the year on Thursday, September 8. Meetings are typically every other Thursday, beginning at 6:30 p.m., and are held in the high school library. These meetings are open to every member of the student body, grades 8-12.
- Science Olympiad held its first meeting on September 12. Interested students should contact Mr. Lui.
- Yearbook had its first meeting at 2:00 p.m. on September 15. Meetings take place in the library, and interested students who may not be able to make the meeting can contact Ms. Charpentier, our yearbook advisor.
- For students interested in participating in drama, there was a meeting on the morning of Thursday, September 15 during flex block. This year's production is Grease. Students interested in cast and crew can contact Ms. Penza or Ms. Mangnall.
- UHS Spartans eSports team looking for players for their upcoming Fall Season of Super Smash Brothers Ultimate. Interested players can see Mr. Barros, typically in room D153.
- Art Club had its first meeting during Flex Block on Friday, September 16, in room C243. Interested students should see Ms. Munley.
2. For students interested in enrolling in Drivers Education, the next class will begin on September 27. There is information available in the main office. The course is run through a third-party but takes place at UHS. Students must be 15 years, 9 months old to enroll.
3. Please fill out free lunch applications. While lunch is free for all students, that information helps us with our state funding! If you have questions, reach out!