OSSB Panther Paws News
Friday, September 4, 2020
Ready or Not, Here we Go!
Here we go, are you ready for the start of school?! I'm sure you and your kids have lots of different emotions going through your heads as you prepare for school on Tuesday, September 8th at 8am. OSSB staff is excited to greet the students and let the virtual learning begin!
A few important points if you missed the Parent Meeting with Mrs. Wagner earlier this week:
- You should have received a schedule from your child's teacher. If you did not, please reach out to Mrs. Wagner at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will be completely virtual until October 26th - no one will be at the building
- Unfortunately, we have had some tech issues and some iPads have not been delivered to students yet. Mrs. Wagner is really sorry for the inconvenience, and iPads should be either shipping or delivered early next week.
- Try to create a workspace for your child that is free from distractions, with all materials in one spot so they are easy to locate (photo shows a work caddy that can be kept next to child's desk)
- Please have your child wear appropriate school clothes during the school day
- All teachers are using Google Classroom. Please see the video below created by OSSB's Mr. Nixon about how to access Google Classroom. Thanks, Mr. Nixon!
- If a student has to miss a day of classes, please call the front desk to report the absence by 9am. 614-752-1359
- Classes will be held with teachers Monday thru Thursday, and independent work will be assigned for Fridays
- Remember to follow the calendar - if the calendar mentions NO SCHOOL (such as on Labor Day), there will be no virtual school
- Google Classroom instruction video
As we start the year, take a deep breath! We know the first week may have some hiccups and we will navigate it together. Enjoy your weekend, and feel free to reach out to Mrs. Wagner with any questions or concerns!
OSSB Students Part of Virtual Football Friday Night Video!!
Four OSSB Marching Band students were chosen to be a part of NBC4’s virtual band in which they recorded the theme song to be used before football games on television. DeCoda (bass drum, top left corner of the video) Caiden (trumpet, top right side of the video), Hope (clarinet) and Garrett (trombone). The video even ends with Garrett closing out the video. We are extremely proud of these students especially since only 12 of the top marching band programs across Central Ohio were chosen. You can view the link below see a preview of the theme that debuted last Friday night. ~ Ms. Yolanda Johnson
Mental Health Agency partners with OSSB to provide services to Students
National Youth Advocate Program (NYAP) is excited to partner with OSSB to provide school-based, telehealth and office-based mental health and substance use services. NYAP provides individual and family therapy, case management, medication management, and psychological assessments. Research has shown that students who receive support in mental health achieve more during school and have overall healthier well-being. We are ready and available to support you and your students through this difficult time. NYAP accepts all forms of Medicaid and some private insurance.
If you are interested in talking more about your child potentially receiving mental health/counseling services please contact Teri Kinsway, LISW-S, school social worker, at email@example.com
OSSB Registration Packets Reminder
First Day of School 2020-21 - All students and teachers are virtual
Tuesday, Sep. 8th, 8am
This is an online event.
Get Ready for some Tik-Tok!
The OSSB Residential Team is providing students with space to socialize after school hours! Each week, a fun theme will be introduced and used as a way to teach students valuable skills that are covered in the Social Emotional Learning Competencies (SEL) and the Expanded Core Curriculum (ECC). Next week’s theme is TIK-TOK! Students will learn how to appropriately utilize social media, collaborate with others to achieve a common goal, and use their creativity to design their own TIK-TOK dance. Please join us next week for some TIK-TOK fun!
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 260 884 3290
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED IN . . .
Exciting options for learning a 'Touch of Braille'!
California School for the Blind's Beginning Braille, a 6 part webinar series for parents, caregivers, and paraprofessionals. Participants will learn alphabetic braille, numbers, basic punctuation, alphabetic word signs, and some of the most common short form words and initial letter contractions. Each lesson includes a description, examples, and independent practices with answers, using a wonderful resource, Dots for Families.
You can view the full series at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYwqRS8JwdkoW7Kp5IVHoElBAEUz-OrQb
The other virtual option is on September 18, 2020
A Touch of Braille
8:30am - 12:00pm
This introduction to braille workshop was developed to assist those who support students who are visually impaired by providing an introductory level of understanding braille.
Click on the link to take you to the OSSB Official Facebook Page!
Did you know that there is an Ohio State School for the Blind Foundation that supports educational programming at OSSB? Check out this non-profit organization by clicking this link.