March 20, 2015
No Twitter Account Required --Please enjoy our updates for the week.
After School Activities are updated on our After School Activities Calendar (click here)
- March Intramural Menu --Click Here
- Unified Sports basketball tournament at Farmington HS @ 3pm (Postponed further details to follow)
- Sapphire Service Club Shelter Dinner - 5:30pm
- Model UN Conference
- West Hartford's Cooking 6:30pm - 9:00pm
- Mock Trial Quarterfinals - 2:00 - 8:00pm
- 7th and 8th Grade Bingo - 3:00 - 4:00pm
- Garnet Team Service Dinner - 5:00pm
- QuEST students History Day Competition - 8:00 - 4pm
Roof Repair Updates
I am happy to report that the roof replacement project is designed. WHPS Facilities is putting the bid package together now to start the project this summer. We expect it to be completed in two phases, and it is our objective to have all work done by the summer of 2017. However, as a result of our deteriorating roof, we have several leaks that we are managing. Our head custodian, Rocco DiTaranto, and WHPS Facilities have been working collaboratively to address the repair of these leaks over the last week and half. The following has taken place:
- Wet tiles and sheet rock were removed in the areas to prevent mold growth.
- Roofers have removed snow on the roof and set up pumps to remove water from the low spots and slow down the leaking.
- There have been several surface patch repairs over the 6th grade gym, over two classrooms along with drain and vent repairs.
We will also be addressing other affected areas in the music wing and cafeteria. Please know that we will continue to monitor the situation closely and that our custodial staff is working with our faculty to create as dry a learning space as possible for our students.
The King Philip Middle School Jazz Band competed in the 42nd Annual Clark Terry Jazz Festival at The University of New Hampshire last weekend and were placed in the second tier award category for their performance. In addition, seventh-grade guitarist Brennen R and sixth-grade trumpet player, Harry E were each given an award for Outstanding Soloist of the festival.
All 3 Middle School Principals (and now Duffy Principal) will serve as guest chefs for a Mac & Cheese Showdown --Come out and declare the winner!
Purchase Tickets here: http://www.fwhps.org/page/tickets-for-west-hartfords-cookin
Attention 7th and 8th Graders
Calling all KP students, families and teachers!!
We need everyone’s support this year to help us spread kindness to the West Hartford community by participating in this year’s food drive (sponsored by KP Universal and the KP Service Club)! Here are the important details:
Start Date: Monday, March 16
End Date: Friday, March 27
Donations: to supply the West Hartford Food Pantry and to support the Backpack Program at the Fern Street Community Kitchen
What to donate:
West Hartford Food Pantry
any non-perishable food item
Fern Street Community Kitchen would like to fill backpacks for children and families in need with the following items:
Whole Grain Cereals- Cheerios, Kix, Wheaties, Total, Kashi, Chex
Oatmeal Packets- Low Sugar
Shelf Stable Milk (such as Horizon single serve)
Healthy Cereal/Granola Bars
Macaroni and Cheese- Boxed or Cups
Canned Marinara Sauce
Fruit Packed in Juice
Creamy Peanut Butter (no glass jars)
Jelly (no glass jars)
Rice- Small Bags of Boxes
Each MA will collect the donations until Friday, March 27. The MA with the highest number of donations will win a breakfast extravaganza!
Thanks in advance for your support in this effort!