Westwood Schools presents:
MAD about Mattering APP Shark Tank Presentation Finals
Final SharkTank App Presentations in Computer Lab and Online
Tuesday, May 10th, 3:45pm
255 Fuller Street
Global Problems. Student-created solutions.
Students at Westwood Schools will join their collaborative partners from Flowery Branch High School (Georgia), Driver Middle School (Indiana), Ron Clark Academy (Georgia), and Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy (Florida) to present their apps to the judges in the finals of the MAD about Mattering Project.
Who is judging? Executives from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and the US Department of Education as well as global voting will determine which app goes live on the app stores from this project. Learn more about judging. Five apps will make it to the finals and each have five minutes to make their case.
Twelve apps. Five finalists. One prize.
3:30-3:45 pm Competing teams will prepare in the library.
3:45 pm Final presentations will be aired live in the Computer Lab while students present in the library.
Picture shown is from the Westwood Drone Zone app team which won the US Dept of Education EdTech Developers Tour in Atlanta in Fall 2015. This year is the first year Westwood students have collaboratively developed apps with other schools. This is the first online collaborative app development project between students of different schools of this type and is organized by Westwood Schools teacher, Vicki Davis.
Student Created Apps
Students used the MAD-Learn platform from Crescerance to create 12 different apps. You can preview the apps on the MAD-Learn platform.
Each app created a trailer to promote their app creation. See them on their app pages. (listed below)
Students created websites and Office Sways to promote their concepts and apps. See more.
Student Created Apps
Choose to Matter
App Code: 269-775-793
App Code: 269-993-976
In Special Shoes
Physical and Mental Disabilities
App Code: 491-687-169
No excuse for abuse
Stop animal abuse.
App Code: 775-278-758
App Code: 925-168-917
Quit the Addict
App Code: 096-952-053
Stop Sex Trafficking
App Code: 291-413-839
App Code: 262-668-762
App Code: 049-983-312
After comparing their heartbreaks to that of other students, they began discussing how an app could improve their heartbreak.
Green light, red light, yellow light process
Cutting edge software development workflow
Feedback from other students
Judges for the Finals
What is MAD about Mattering?
About the Creators
- To use compassion driven innovation & collaborative teamwork to develop an app that matters to the world
- To facilitate collaborative social entrepreneurial teams using leading computer science technology to create apps that tackle important problems to the students
- To develop a network of supporters and investors to help fund & develop student apps and take them to market.
- To document & demonstrate the next generation of global collaboration harnessing the power of collaborative technology, social media, and emerging partnerships of organizations wanting to help students pursue their passions and become excellent collaborators in the world today.
- To create a duplicable model of quad-engineering where four classrooms work together to solve important global problems and release that model as an open education resource (OER)for teachers around the world to use and adapt.
- To ensure that students are not just consumers of technology, but also creators of it