Friday, April 13, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
Registration is open for the 14th Annual FUNd Run-4-Life on Saturday, April 28 on Main Street. T-shirts are given to each participant. Scholarships are for public school students onlyhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1uM5_Rs1oQKAfeYq1pilsnHjhv27RFRWv/view
- Scotland County Robotics Showcase will be held on
Saturday, April 14, 9:00-11:30 in the Scotland High School gym. Set up will be available between 8:00-8:30. Lunch will be served for students afterwards.
- EC Smore: https://www.smore.com/xgp8n
- Our current attendance rate for the year is at 96%. The month of February was our lowest attendance rate of the year at 90%. Our goal this year is 97%. We need you here! Please let me know how I can support you in helping us meet our attendance goal.
If you are not on salary installments, you will be seeing double deductions in April and May for health, dental and vision and in your last paycheck in May. If want to be on installments next year, please fill out form on the SCS website by July 31. https://www.scotland.k12.nc.us/Page/395
- Please find in your box the new schedule for after Spring Break. Tutoring will be held at the end of the day. Please ensure that this is well planned and specific to student needs. The tutoring google doc must be updated weekly with student names and standards.
- EOG materials should arrive after break for both Reading and Math EOG subjects
- Beginning after Spring Break, all tested subjects EOG/EOC/NC Final exams, need to prepare a 5 – 7 question EOG type assessment each week. Results should be submitted to Mrs. Lewis by the Monday of the following week.
- Prom tickets will go on sale beginning after Spring Break during 8th grade lunch through May 10th.
- There will be a parent registration meeting for rising 7th and 8th grade students on Tuesday, April 10th at 6pm. The grade level chair is responsible for ensuring a rep from each team is present at the meeting. A representative from each team should be present at the meeting for both 6th and 7th grade. Registration Week (Rising 7th and 8th graders)- April 16-20 - Registration Forms - due April 20; Registration Parent Nights (Rising 6th graders). Course Guides are presented to parents and students for review -April 26, 5:30pm
- Please know that parent phone calls should not still be coming in about Powerschool not being updated. It is a district and school expectation that Powerschool is updated weekly. Also, be sure that you are making phone calls to keep parents updated about their child’s grades and returning work so that students have timely feedback.
- April 26 – Mark your calendars – We will host an EOG Parent Fair beginning at 6:30.
- Staff Mark your Calendars (Required) - TECHCON 2018 will be on May 11 from 1p-4p This will be a half day PD specifically designed to share user DTL strategies for end-of-year review.
- Rising 6th graders visit middle schools, April 25
- See Something Say Something PSA - Google video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LPjPr76vZrnddimp2; See Something Say Something PSA - YouTube: https://youtu.be/Gqi3LX7tJWY
- CTE Newsletter: See our students in action! https://www.smore.com/qapg4
- If students communicate suicidal or homicidal intentions to you, your FIRST point of contact should be an administrator IMMEDIATELY.
- Teachers, mark your calendars! We will need you for remediating and re-testing at the end of the year. Please make plans to be available to help out. We usually see HUGE gains in proficiency with strategic planning!!! (After EOGs and on the work days for retesting)
- The proposed EOY Testing Dates (Any feedback should be sent to Mrs. Lewis by Wed., March 13th)- Science 8 EOG: Friday, 5/25; Middle School NCFEs (Social Studies or Science): Tuesday, 5/29; 6-8 Reading EOG: Wednesday, 5/30; 6-8 Math EOG/MS Math I: Thursday, 5/31; Middle School NCFEs (Social Studies or Science): Friday, 6/1
Staff, we are headed into the home stretch. It is important that we tighten up on discipline and hold the fort down. Spring and the end of year is coming.
Make sure to notify administration or Mrs. Fehlman when you suspect child abuse or neglect. See the agreement between SCS and DSS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pVs4aMBIqUxqPBjfVgXJZtMOg9LaEzHGrc-ICsha-E/edit
IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]