CSA Lincoln Newsletter
May 6th, 2016
PRINCIPAL'S NOTES AND HIGHLIGHTS
- This week was Staff Appreciation Week and we had several events planned...mostly around food! Breakfast, slushies, candy, and Family Chiropractic catered lunch today and did free stress tests. A special thank you to the Ruiz family and Riviera Maya who helped cater our Cinco de Mayo lunch!
- Field Day permission slips are heading home today. Please return those to your student's teacher. This year we are giving each student a CSA Lincoln drawstring backsack that they should use to carry their towel, goggles, and sunscreen.
- Staffing Updates-As promised, I've included information about the newest members of our family! The CIC has reviewed over 60 applications and interviewed right at 20 candidates. Needless to say, they have put in a LOT of extra hours to find the very best to join our team. I'm finalizing details on two others who have been offered positions, but won't be able to share that information until next week. I asked our new hires to share a little info about themselves, and I included a few of my notes.
- For those counting at home, that makes 5. We are happy to announce that Mrs. Laura Burbrink has been promoted to UDL coach for both CSA Lincoln and CSA New Tech High School. Starting next year she will work in both buildings. As part of the hiring committee, I can tell you we had four great candidates, but Laura's connection to the CSA program and experience with PBL set her apart. While we hate to lose her in the classroom, her experience and guidance will be a great benefit to our new hires. Please join me in congratulating Mrs. Burbrink on her promotion!
- After much discussion and careful consideration, the CIC decided to make two changes to our grade level teams for the 2016-2017 school year. For a school to be successful, there must be continuity and experience at the top. Mr. Shipley and Miss Cook are both excited and ready for the challenge to lead 6th grade. This will be the third time they have had that group of students. Here is the lineup for next year:
- 6th grade: Mr. Shipley, Miss Cook
- 5th grade: Mr. Sterling, Miss Fenske
- 4th grade: Miss Moore, TBA (several years of teaching experience)
- 3rd grade: Mr. Wright, Miss Manuel
- 2nd grade: Miss Brill, TBA
- 1st grade: Mrs. Newton, Mrs. Cash
- Kindergarten: Mrs. Aldrich, Miss Deyerling
New Husky: Miss Megan Fenske- 5th grade
Mr Findley's notes: You are going to love her organization, passion, and drive. She presented an awesome PBL project to the interview committee and knew a great deal about our school. She's making the 4 hour drive next week to meet with Mr. Sterling and get started. You will love her enthusiasm!
New Husky: Miss Hannah Moore-4th Grade
Hi! My name is Hannah Moore and I am happy to be joining CSA Lincoln next year! I am a recent graduate from The University of Indianapolis. I was raised in Columbus and I am so excited to be back. I have three brothers and three sisters. I love crafting, sports and playing with my three dogs! It is going to be a fun year full of lots of learning and new adventures!
Mr. Findley's notes: What drew us to Hannah was her compassion and dedication to her students. She will go above and beyond to make it a great experience. For those who know Jill Major, Hannah is her niece. You will also appreciate her sense of humor! Hannah is currently doing a maternity leave in kindergarten at her school.
New Husky: Miss Morgan Manuel- 3rd grade
My name is Morgan Manuel, I am a graduate from Purdue University and I will be teaching third grade here at Lincoln next year. I am so happy to be apart of the Columbus community where I am near my family and friends who I love spending time with. I am very excited to work at such a wonderful school and I look forward to getting to know all of the students and parents!
Mr. Findley's notes: 37. That's how many students she had in her class, in the Chicago Public School System, during her student-teaching. Her principal raved about her ability to connect with all types of students and she came prepared with a great PBL project. Her older brother Blake is a teacher at Central Middle School. She will be in next week to work with Mr. Wright on Growth Model Report Cards.
Save the Date!
Kindergarten Promotion Ceremony
Monday, May 23rd @ 1:30 p.m. CSA Lincoln Gym
6th grade Send-Off
Tuesday, May 24th @ 9:00 a.m. CSA Lincoln Gym
Move Up Day
Tuesday, May 24th @ 1:30 p.m.
Grades K-5 will move up to meet their 2016-2017 teacher.
Wednesday, May 25th All day at Donner Park. Parents and buses will drop students off at Donner Park. More details to come later.
- Our Kindergarten classes are continuing to learn about insects for their Hands Helping Antennas project.
- First grade are working on their Helping Our Helpers project. They went to the Mill Race Center and preformed for their buddies at Just Friends this week.
- Second graders have began work on their next project, Money Smart. They are working on a school behavior incentive, where students in each class can the earn the opportunity to participate in a movie at school.
- Third graders are going to be launching their new Urban Design Project with 4th grade on Monday.
- Fourth graders are going to be launching their new Urban Design Project with 3rd grade on Monday.
- Fifth grade is working on their Here in the USA Project. Mrs. Eickmeyer of Sunny Aspirations Travel came in and shared with the students about traveling and the exciting things to do in the USA.
- Sixth graders are gearing up for their big Chicago trip.
CSA Drama Club Announcement
The CSA Drama Club presents
McQuadle: A Dragon's Tale
Friday, May 6 and Saturday, May 7
Central Middle School Grey Box Theatre
Admission $3/adults; $2/Children (through grade 6)
BCSC Summer Feeding Sites
Central Middle School-Announcements for 6th grade students
If you are interested in participating in sports for Central Middle School next year, here are some important dates coming up soon:
Open Facility @ CMS Football Field - May 3, 10, 17, 24 from 5:30-6:30
Football Call-Out Meeting - May 11th @ 600-6:45 in CMS Grey Box Auditorium
Open Facility @ Donner Tennis Courts - May 3 from 5:00-6:30
Boys Basketball -
Open Gyms - April 28, May 5, May 12 from 6:00-7:00 in CMS Main Gym
Girls Basketball -
Open Gyms - April 29, May 6 from 6:00-7:00 in CMS Main Gym
Cross Country -
Cross Country Call Out Meeting - May 18th from 5:30-6:00 in CMS Cafeteria
CSA Central Open House
While a minor inconvenience, please utilize the crosswalks and crossing guards.
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley
WHAT IF WE NEEDED YOU TO KNOW...
WHAT IF there was an EMERGENCY? WHAT IF we needed to GET INFORMATION TO YOU? This is a QUICK and EASY way to communicate needed information TO YOU!
What is REMIND?
Principals everywhere are forgetting their complex phone trees and are using Remind as a simple way to keep their colleagues in the loop and build community at their schools.
Click on the Get Connected with REMIND above this article.
HUSKY GRAM DRAWING WINNERS
Here are a few of the 2nd graders who presented at the Bartholomew County Library this week.