Summer U Newsletter
Math Masters: Aerobics of the Mind - Session 1, Week 3
June 28, 2013
- They learned about the Rhombicosidodecahedron, with 240 triangular faces and 122 edges.
- They learned about Euler's formula that can calculate vertices (v), sides (s), and edges (e): v + s = e + 2
- They learned about Probability from our group game "Skunk": they learned that there is a 1/6 chance of rolling a 1 on one dice, and a 1/36 chance of rolling two 1's --> (1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36).
- They discussed "independent events" with probability - rolling a 1 on the dice once does not impact the next roll, there is still a 1/6 chance of getting any number 1-6.
- They worked on patterns and logic puzzles
- They explored chance and choice through the game "Skunk"
- They have used variables to solve equations
- They explored prime factors, divisibility rules, and fact families in the game "PrimePak"
We will have read the following math books by the end of Math Masters:
- "How Much is a Million" by David M. Schwartz
- "Ready, Set, Hop!" by Stuart J. Murphy
- "Betcha!" by Stuart J. Murphy
- "Divide and Ride" by Stuart J. Murphy
- "Sir Cumference and the First Round Table" by Cindy Neuschwander
- "On Beyond a Million" by David M. Schwartz
- "Sir Cumference and the Great Knight of Angleland" by Cindy Neuschwander
- "Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi" by Cindy Neuschwander
- "Sir Cumference and the Sword in the Cone" by Cindy Neuschwander
- "G is for Googol: A Math Alphabet Book" by David M. Schwartz
Students have been enjoying themselves at the game stations as well, and we have introduced new games this week! We have played/will play the following new games this week:
- Skunk (a game of probability/chance)
- Colorku (Sudoku with colors)
- Fraction Battleship
- Magnetic Pattern Blocks
I have greatly enjoyed working with the Math Masters students this summer! They have worked very hard and have challenged themselves mathematically! I have been very impressed with their mathematical capabilities and work ethic! Enjoy the rest of your summer!
For a full list of games we have played and books we have read, and to see an electronic copy of this newsletter, see my Summer U website: mswegleysummeru.weebly.com
- Summer U classes END on Tuesday, July 2.
- Please report any Summer School absences by calling the South Middle School front office at 847-398-4250, or by email at SummerU@sd25.org
- Parents: Please take the Summer U Parent Survey to give us feedback from this summer! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDJYSEh2OEh3cHU4QlJsVG5UQ1FlUFE6MA
Thanks! - Ms. Wegley