THE PEACEFUL INTERVENTION:
CARING SAFELY FOR ANGRY AND DISRUPTIVE STUDENTS WITHOUT GETTING PHYSICAL
with Dr. Malcolm Smith, Founder and Executive Director, The Courage to Care Program
Who Should Attend:
- After School
About the Workshop:
We are educating a generation of young people who are in the midst of a very real crisis of emotional instability, contagious anger, narcissism and incivility. From the playgrounds of preschools to the lecture halls of universities, the behaviors and attitudes of our young people and their brains have fundamentally changed. Yet most schools, hospitals, youth service programs and juvenile courts are using antiquated and ineffective approaches to social and emotional learning.
In this profound and life-changing presentation, Dr. Malcolm Smith, one of the nation’s leading educators on bullying, peer victimization, anger and incivility will bring 30 years of research and practice in the classroom, on the streets and in youth programs across the nation to bare on what has been called an epidemic of incivility. He will also provide clear, specific and dynamic strategies that will change how you care for, interact with, and heal angry children and youth.
Learning Objectives for the day:
By the end of this training session, participants will:
- Comprehend and be able to clearly identify over 30 fundamental generational changes in this generation of young people and understand why and how they have occurred;
- Be able to behaviorally identify three types of anger in young people and understand clear strategies and approaches for dealing with them in classrooms, hospitals, juvenile facilities and other youth service settings;
- Apply knowledge of the “Fear/Anger/Violence triangle theory” to both their work settings and everyday life;
- Understand and be able to apply knowledge of how social attachment failure has caused a connected generation to feel more alone, isolated and distrustful than any generation before them;
- Understand and apply the correlations between mental illness and angry behavior, peer victimization and develop treatment protocols
- Be able to apply strategies for fundamentally changing the behavior of angry children and youth without being physical
- Be safer and more caring in their approaches to children who have rage and anger problems
- Identify common parenting and educational practices that both harm and hinder our children’s social and emotional growth and be able to work with educators and parents to develop behavior strategies that work.
8:30 Guest Arrival, Registrant Check-in, Continental Breakfast
9:00 Why Are Our Young People so Angry and Mean? 30 Root causes.
10:00 The Anger Triangle: A Behavioral Perspective on three types of anger and how to deal with them
11:00 The Kitty Reflex: Social Attachment Theory and Correlations to student behavior
1:00 The Anger Triangle and the Brain: Understanding angry behavior
2:00 It’s All About YOUR Behavior: Successful strategies for responding to angry students safely
3:00 Creating a Peaceful and Caring School Environment
3:30 Program Ends
About the Presenter
Dr. Smith is currently the Executive Director of the Courage to Care Institute, and a winner of the 2015 Governor’s Outstanding Achievement in Health Award. He is a leading expert in the field of social emotional learning and the Founder and Executive Director of the Courage to Care Institute, a national program that has been shown to produce impeccable results in teaching empathy, compassion and kindness to young people, thus dramatically changing their behavior. He is the former Director of the Karl Menninger National Youth Care Training Center and was a close personal friend and colleague of Dr. Menninger, the late pioneering psychiatrist. Dr. Smith was the architect of the New Hampshire school safety law, considered to be one of the most effective bullying laws in the nation. He has also personally responded to over 64 school shootings and interviewed hundreds of violent criminals under the age of 18. He is the author of “The Peaceful Intervention Program, Caring Safely for Angry Children and Youth;” The “Realistic Parenting Series;” and countless publications and articles.
Wednesday, January 20, 2016
Check-in and continental breakfast starts at 8:30 am
Presentation starts at 9:00
Lunch at SERESC
Adjourn: 3:30 pm
Participants will receive a certificate of attendance for 5.5 contact hours
Early Registration Discounted Cost: $195.00, if registered by, January 6, 2016 ---Enter discount code: early*registration
Registration ends January 13, 2016
**SNOW DATE January 28 , 2016**
Cancellation Policy for Professional Development Events
**All received registrations are subject to Cancellation/Refund policy. A full refund will be made for cancellations sent via email 7 days before the event.
**Refunds will not be given if the request is received less than 7 days prior to the event.
**Refunds will not be given for “no shows”.
**SERESC accepts substitution of another person. 24 hour advanced notice is appreciated.
**Registration fee or signed Purchase Order is due on or before the event.
**SERESC reserves the right to postpone or cancel events.
SERESC Conference Center
29 Commerce Drive
Bedford, NH 03110
Our mission is to inspire innovation and excellence in education and professional practice, and our vision is for helping organizations and individuals achieve their greatest potential as they learn, lead and grow. Our core values are innovation, excellence, integrity, and service.
Click below for directions