Fork Shoals Library Ledger
August/September 2016 Newsletter
First Quarter Reading Challenge
How do you record reading?
Students will receive reading logs during the first week of school. You can also print out a reading log here. List books as you complete them. Remember that books can be counted only once, and only books finished should be recorded.
Interested in the WFSS News Team?
Interested students can pick up an application packet in the library. Applications MUST be turned in by Tuesday, August 30th! Auditions will be held August 30th-September 1st. The announcement of the 15-16 News Team will be at the end of school on Friday, September 2nd.
An electronic copy of the application packet is also available here and on the library website.
Battle of the Books
Fork Shoals’ Battle of the Books team will train to compete against other teams in Greenville County. There will be two competition dates: the regional competition and district finals. Both of these events should take place in late March or early April, and will be held off-site in the evening.
Battle of the Books practices will begin in December and will be held every Tuesday afternoon (with the exception of Book Fair week) from 2:30 to 3:00. We will add Wednesday morning practices, 7:30-7:55am, beginning in January. The team will practice on Tuesday and Wednesdays through regional and/or district competition.
More information on this program will be included in next month's newsletter.
South Carolina Book Award Program
Click here for a handy checkoff sheet to keep track of your Book Award reading, and check out the videos below for a quick glimpse at this year's nominees!
YouTube Channel for the Fork Shoals Library, featuring school videos and book trailers for the South Carolina Picture and Children's Book Award nominees.
Dates to Remember:
- August 22-September 2 - Library Orientation
- August 30 - La Fogata Spirit Day
- August 30-September 1 - News Team auditions
- September 2 - News Team announced; Spirit Day
- September 5 - Labor Day (All GCSD schools and offices closed.)
- September 12 - SIC meeting; Volunteer Breakfast
- September 13 - Fall picture day
- September 15 - Progress reports
- September 16 - Spirit Day
- September 20 - Related arts/support staff volunteer day
- September 23 - PTA dinner & movie; Spirit Week kickoff
- September 24 - Fork Shoals Frenzy 5K
- September 26-30 - Spirit Week