VCR E Lesson 6 Presentation
Which word best fits this sentence?
- Hypochondriac- (n.) a person who is abnormally anxious about their health.
- Hypochondriacal- (adj.) of or affected by hypochondria.
More About Hypochondria
- It is a pretty common disease, with around 200,000 cases seen in America every year.
- A chronic but treatable disease.
- A psychosomatic disease (mental illness, physical manifestations)
- Pandemics cause an increase in Hypochondriacs
- With the rise of the internet and WebMD, cyberchondria has appeared
- Can be triggered by traumatic events or genetics
- Behavioral therapy is the most common treatment
Famous People with Hypochondria
- Hans Christian Anderson
- Charles Darwin
- Edgar Allen Poe
- Andy Warhol
- Tennessee Williams
- Howard Hughes
Which of these sentences uses hypochondria incorrectly?
2. Because they are constantly around death and sickness, it is not uncommon for doctors to develop hypochondria.
3. Her hypochondria was terminal; the doctors said she had one month to live before her organs began shutting down.
4. As a hypochondriac, he spent thousands of dollars fruitlessly seeking treatment and diagnosis for diseases that he did not have.