December 17, 2021
From the Principal
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you to our families and school community! I know that last night's announcement caught everyone by surprise but thanks to this school's dedicated staff and our amazing families we have all worked together to quickly and successfully pivot to virtual learning. Based on the time of my communication last night it is safe for you to summarize that the decision was made well after school hours. Our communication went out at a later than ideal time but the safety of our students and our staff remains our number one priority so we could not delay our actions once the decision was made. The MAA team is so grateful for everyone's flexibility and we all stand ready to support you as needed next week. We cannot wait to welcome back our students at the beginning of the new year.
- In order to ensure our ability to safely operate the school and to keep our school community safe and healthy, we have put a temporary pause to in-person learning at Monarch Annapolis beginning today through 1/2/22. Daily virtual instruction will commence according to the normal school schedule on Monday, December 20, 2021. Please see the letter attached below for additional information.
- Thank you to all the families who picked up materials and chromebooks today! If you were not able to pick up today please come to Monarch Landing on Monday between 9am and 3:30pm to get the materials for your child. We have devices available for all students. (Pre-k thru 5th grade)
- On December 23rd, all AACPS schools will have a two-hour early dismissal. No afternoon ECI or PreK for Staff and student personal wellness.
- On December 24th thru the 31st all AACPS Schools are closed for winter break. School Offices & Central Offices are closed December 24, 27, 30, & 31
- Towne Courts, the town home community adjacent to the school, will be having tenants move in over the holiday break. We have been in contact with them to share our arrival/dismissal times so that everyone is aware.
Have a great weekend.
Holidays Around the World
Over the past three weeks, our students have been learning about different holidays that occur in December. We have highlighted three holidays Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and this week Navidad. Hanukkah is the Jewish holiday celebrating the miracle of light. Kwanzaa is an African- American and Pan American holiday that celebrates family, community, and culture. Navidad is the celebration of Christmas and this week students looked at the how it is celebrated in many different cultures and regions. Please take time to explore the three presentations below to learn more about these holidays!
7 Picture Retake Day
8 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
17 Vision and Hearing Screening (all students in prekindergarten, kindergarten, 1st grade and all students new to MAA will be screened)
20-23 Virtual Learning for all MAA students
23 2 hour early dismissal (new)
24-31 Schools closed for Christmas/Winter Break
17 Schools closed for Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Commemoration
27 & 28 2 hour early dismissal for end of second marking period (dismissal at 1:15)
31 No School for Students, Semester Break
9 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
21 Schools closed for President's Day
7 2 hour late arrival for conferences (arrival at 10:15)
8 2 hour early dismissal for conferences (dismissal at 1:15)
30 AACPS Project Unity Day (wear orange)
Monarch Annapolis Concert Dates
Thursday, January 13, 2022 - Winter Strings, Uke, Mariachi Concert
Tuesday, January 18, 2022 - Winter Band, Chorus, Steel & Bucket Drum Concert
Thursday, May 12, 2022 - Spring Strings, Uke, Mariachi Concert
Tuesday, May 17, 2022 - Spring Band, Chorus, Steel & Bucket Drum Concert
*Annapolis Band Feeder Concert – Jan 24th pending – 4th/5th Grade (Field Trip) - *Optional
* June Cultural Arts Showcase – Date TBD – Featuring student compositions, solos, art, and more! – *Optional