FOURTH GRADE NEWS
October 15, 2015
Welcome to Fourth Grade
Thank you for attending our parent-teacher conference this past Monday. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy day to meet with us. It was a joy to meet with you to discuss the growth of your child and to receive valuable insight from you about your child. We look forward to our continued partnership throughout the remainder of the school year as we work together to grow our children. As always, if you have any questions, please let us know.
Next week, we are going to delve more deeply into author's purpose through reading, Mighty Jackie: The Strike-out Queen. This is another biography about a woman who succeeded despite the odds. Students will also learn to identify a reflexive pronoun, as well as write another expository composition. Our spelling pattern for the week will be consonant digraphs.
Our focus in math next week is to develop proficiency multiplying by a 1-digit number. Throughout the week, students will begin to multiply a 2-digit factor by a 1-digit factor using partial products and the standard algorithm. We will then move to multiplying 3- and 4-digit factors by a 1-digit factor. We want students to understand that the standard algorithm is just a shortened way of recording the information in the expanded multiplication algorithm.
Our next math test is Monday, October 26th. It will cover Topics 3 & 4. Please use the Practice Test pages 217-220 and 269-270 to help your child prepare for the test.
Topic 3 Extended Learning: pg. 159, Math and Science Project: Analyzing the Animal Kingdom Due October 19th.
Wednesday, October 21st students will be taking their first science test. This test will cover the material learned throughout unit 2. The best resource students can use to study is their science notebook. Students need to be sure they understand the science vocabulary from the unit along with being able to explain and apply the concepts that are discussed.
From the Teachers
- The 2015 Fall Book Fair is is scheduled for November 4-13. See the flyer below to find out more information.
- Field Day is October 30th. If you would like to volunteer for this fun-filled day, please sign up on the following link. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14MRZyOOScehWn-iUT_n-djoZTOP3JNWutNJAXFoGFdY/edit#gid=0
- Candy Drive: Please see our parent site for more information. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- Be a star for our students and write a check to our PTA. See the information below regarding the Skaggs PTA Check Writing Campaign.
- Reading Logs: Skaggs has a new reading program that we would love to encourage your children to participate in. With this reading program, your child will read at home and record the number of minutes that he or she has read each night. At the end of the week, your child can record the number of minutes read for the week on the following web site: http://tinyurl.com/SkaggsReadingLog
- We would like to encourage your child to bring their electronic device. Electronic devices are being used in music and art.
- A fourth grade website just for parents! You will find links, important information, and much more. https://sites.google.com/a/pisd.edu/fabulous-fourth-grade-friends/
- 10/21 Unit 2 Science Test
- 10/26 Unit 3 & 4 Math Test
- 10/30 Field Day - Bring a sack lunch.