Argyle Weekly Newsletter
THE WEEK OF MAY 30
- Memorial Day | Schools and Offices Closed: Monday, May 30, 2022
- Asian American & Pacific Island American Poster Contest: Tuesday, May 31, 2022
- Student Government Elections: Wednesday, June 1, 2022
- 8th Grade Spirit Week: Monday, June 6, 2022 - Friday, June 10, 2022
- 8th Grade Promotion Ceremony (Kennedy HS): Thursday, June 16, 2022 at 9:00 am
- 8th Grade Cruise: Departure: Kennedy @ 1 pm | Return: Argyle @ 6:30 pm
- Last Day of School | Early Release Day: Friday, June 17, 2022
Upcoming Events & Student Information
Virtual Career Day is here!
If you have any questions or suggestions for future Career Days, don't hesitate to reach out to Sarah Parrish (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please feel free to enjoy and discuss the videos with your student to get them thinking about their futures!
Social Studies Testing
On Tuesday, May 31, 8th-grade students will complete a 4-section Social Studies Test. They will follow their normal schedule and the test will be spread out in four increments throughout the day so that students have breaks.
Parents, please be sure to help your student prepare to do their best by:
- Getting them to sleep on time and talking to them about doing their best during the test.
- Remind them to bring their headphones if they have them (Bluetooth earphones are not allowed).
- Be sure their devices are FULLY charged.
- Remind students to bring their iPad or Chromebooks.
Thank you for partnering with us to ensure our students' success!
SSL hours Earned in the Previous School Years
Hello Argyle Families and Students,
MCPS is provided guidelines for past SSL hours earned in the previous school years.
Systemwide SSL Documentation Deadline
- All SSL forms documenting service completed this school year must be submitted to schools’ SSL coordinators by the systemwide required deadline of June 3, 2022.
- Any unsubmitted SSL forms for service completed since June 1, 2019, will be accepted until June 3, 2022.
- Please note that after the 2021-2022 school year, SSL forms will no longer be accepted from previous school years.
The required systemwide deadline for submission of all SSL documentation is June 3, 2022.
- All SSL forms (MCPS Form 560-51: Student Service Learning Activity Verification form must be turned in to the school’s SSL coordinator (https://bit.ly/SSLCoordinatorsMS or https://bit.ly/SSLCoordinatorsHS) by the systemwide required deadline of June 3, 2022, to be added to students’ SSL records.
- SSL Forms for service completed during the 2021-2022 school year and previous school years will NOT be accepted after June 3, 2022.
Summer School Programs
BOARD OF EDUCATION VOTES TO MAKE MASKS OPTIONAL IN MCPS
During its March 8 business meeting, the Montgomery County Board of Education voted to make masks optional in all MCPS schools and facilities. This new guidance goes into effect immediately.
This action follows the state of Maryland’s decision to end its statewide mask mandate in schools and aligns with revised Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines that no longer recommend universal mask-wearing in schools.
To maintain the safety of our staff and students, other COVID-19 mitigation strategies will continue, including in-school rapid and random testing, distribution of take-home test kits, improved HVAC systems, and vaccination availability. Mask-wearing in MCPS will become optional indoors, outside, and on school buses. Anyone who chooses to wear a mask may continue to do so, and your child may request a mask from their school if they want one.
For more information please click here
Tutoring with External Tutoring Providers
MCPS has contracted with two external tutoring companies to provide direct tutoring services to students. This will ensure a robust tutoring program in all schools so that every student in need of support is able to receive it through various modalities and resources.
COVID - 19 Procedures for Students & Families
As we return to school, we continue to rely on our families and each individual to screen themselves daily for symptoms. To help us avoid quarantine, we are asking that you please continue to screen your children at home and if they have even one symptom of COVID-19, or are awaiting COVID test results, please do not send them to school.
This is particularly important if your child has any of the following single symptoms they will be sent home and not be able to return to school until they have a negative test, alternate diagnosis, or complete a full 10-day quarantine. It is a collective responsibility that we exercise extreme caution and be conservative in our approach.
Please do not send your children to school with any of COVID-like symptoms. This is essential for us to continue to remain in school without quarantine.
Quarantine Instructional Support
FREE AND REDUCED-PRICE MEALS
Students may qualify for free or reduced-price meals based on household size and income. They may also qualify if they are receiving Food Supplement Program (FSP) or Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA) benefits. Families may apply for meal benefits by completing an Application for Free and Reduced-Price Meals for the current school year.
Apply online NOW at MySchoolApps.com (Translations available)
Federal eligibility guidelines change each school year; therefore a new application must be submitted each school year. All students in the family should be listed on one household application. A notice will be mailed home for each student if you are approved for meal benefits or do not qualify for meal benefits. Please keep this important document for your records and use throughout the school year. Families may apply for meal benefits at any time during the school year.
Households that are unable to apply online should contact their school or the Division of Food and Nutrition Services at 301-284-4900.
Please click here to apply online.
Lunch Safety Protocol Update
As a result, of additional support provided through the hiring of an monitor, we are able to provide additional support during lunch in the form of limited seating (40 students) outside. This increased safety protocol along with other measures below will continue to reduce the number of students eating and unmasked at the same time
Four lunches will continue to reduce the number of students in the cafeteria
Additional spaces for lunch provided in the bus loop, media center and as well as 40 seats outside
Staggered release of students to lunch lines
Recess options after eating
low-cost internet access
Please visit Montgomery County - Low-Cost Internet for more information!
Parent Teacher Student Association
Your responsibilities by joining the Whatsapp group:
- Messaging rights may be limited if we encounter additional issues.
- Although Whatsapp is very user family-friendly, we cannot prevent anyone from joining. We can remove a person, however, we cannot remove messages or content.
- People will be removed (or block) who post inappropriate messages or content and we will not allow that individual(s) from joining.
- If this happens again, please remove the content from your view by selecting the content and select the trash icon.
SCHOOL CONTACT INFORMATION
WE ARE HERE TO HELP!
Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Below are emails and phone numbers for the following departments:
Administration (240) 740-6370
School Principal - Mr. Allrich: James_K_Allrich@mcpsmd.org
8th Grade Administrator - Ms. Sandall: email@example.com
7th Grade Administrator - Ms. Turner: Hannah_D_Turner@mcpsmd.org
Magnet Coordinator /6th Grade Administrator - Ms. Chao: Cortney_E_Chao@mcpsmd.org
Main Office (240) 740-6370
Attendance Secretary - Ms. Hernandez: Patricia_V_Hernandez@mcpsmd.org
Front Office Secretary - Ms. Chavarria: Johana_M_Chavarria@mcpsmd.org
School Financial Specialist - Mr. Magruder: Timothy_W_Magruder@mcpsmd.org
Administrative Secretary - Ms. Majano: Jennifer_L_Majano@mcpsmd.org
Counseling Office (240) 740-6380
Counseling Secretary/Registrar - Ms. Pineda: Marlene_C_Pineda@mcpsmd.org
6th Grade Counselor: Ms. Tran | Email: Lisa_L_Tran@mcpsmd.org
7th Grade Counselor: Mr. Rowan | Email: Matthew_J_Lilja@mcpsmd.org
8th Grade Counselor: Ms. Green | Email: Chelsea_R_Green@mcpsmd.org
Resource Counselor/ SSL Coordinator: Mr. Lilja | Email: Matthew_J_Lilja@mcpsmd.org
Continue to Report Positive Cases
Parents, please help us maintain a safe environment for our students by reporting positive results for COVID-19. If your child does test positive for COVID-19, please report that to MCPS. The way to do that is by using this electronic form.
If your student is experiencing COVID symptoms, please be sure to keep them at home and contact Argyle's main office to inform us of the student's absence.