Updates to NCEA for Auckland
23rd September 2021
Dear Parents & Caregivers
You will have probably seen in the news that NZQA has decided to give senior students in Auckland extra consideration for NCEA. They have announced additional Learning Recognition Credits available to students, to help mitigate the disruption caused by lockdown.
Details of NCEA Changes for Auckland
- Auckland students will be entitled to 1 Learning Recognition Credit (LRC) for every 4 credits they achieve through assessment in the 2021 school year, rather than 1 LRC for every 5.
- Auckland students will be eligible for up to 16 LRCs at NCEA Level 1, and 12 LRCs at levels 2 and 3.
- The threshold for Auckland students to be awarded a Certificate Endorsement will be 44 credits at Merit or Excellence level, rather than the usual 50.
The changes to Course Endorsements and University Entrance announced on 2 September will continue to apply. This means:
- Auckland students will require 12 credits at Achieved, Merit or Excellence level to receive Course Endorsements, rather than 14.
- To be awarded University Entrance, students in Auckland will need to achieve 12 – instead of 14 – credits in each of 3 University Entrance Approved Subjects, as well as attaining NCEA Level 3 and meeting the usual literacy and numeracy requirements.
At this stage it's best not to get caught up in the detail. The important message for students and families/whanau is not to worry, as everything will be fine. Even if lockdown has been challenging for your child, it will be okay.
We will get back for 4 weeks of school before the NCEA final exams. These changes mean that the ‘target' for getting NCEA is more achievable. Next term, teachers will be assessing the needs of each student and creating a plan for their learning going forward.
In the meantime, keep doing the best you can. We will make sure that no-one is disadvantaged and that every student gets what they need to move on to the next step. ie. Year 11s returning for Year 12 and NCEA Level 2; Year 12s coming back for Year 13 and Level 3; and Year 13s moving on to technical college, university, or that job or apprenticeship.
We've got this!
Ngā mihi nui