Nutrients Needed While Pregnant
Take in all you can!
These will help you and your BABY!
Protein : Growth and helps bones get strong.
Iron: Healthy for our blood, but if too much, it can cause the baby to how low birth weight.
Calcium: Helps function our nerves and bodily systems.
B Vitamins: Helps produce more energy and helps with morning sickness.
Vitamin E & A: Helps baby grow and helps the mother produce red blood cells.
* The nutrition needs for breast-feeding are similar to those for pregnancy, and women are wanted to continue eating similarly to how they were eating during their pregnancy.
* While breast-feeding you should eat two to three servings of protein each day. A serving is equal to 3 to 4 ounces of meat, fish or poultry.
* A breast-feeding woman needs 200 more calories per day than she did during pregnancy
The same nutrients are used if you are going to breastfeed, but you need to take in more.
Foods you can eat!!!
* Most Pregnant women should take in 200-400 calories more that they would if not pregnant.
* Veggies ( Mostly green )
* Enriched Fruit
* Milk and Cheese
An example Meal Plan
- Five servings of fresh fruits and vegetables (at least 3 servings of dark green leafy vegetables, and 1 serving of citrus fruit) ( CALCIUM)
- Six servings of enriched, whole-grain breads and cereals.
- Three servings of nonfat or low-fat milk or milk products.
- Two to three servings of extra-lean meats, chicken without the skin, fish, or cooked dried beans . ( PROTEIN)
- Eight glasses of water