Mrs.Myers' Weekly Newsletter
8/29/16 - 9/2/16
Notes from Mrs.Myers
- THIS WEEK THERE WILL BE NO WEEKLY UPDATES DUE TO CURRICULUM NIGHT! Because of preparation for curriculum night and a few appointments that I have after school this week, there will be no weekly updates. As usual, if I have any specific concerns, I'll be sure to address them with you through email! Likewise, if you have any concerns of your own, please don't hesitate to email me! Updates will resume the following week. :)
- Curriculum Night is THIS THURSDAY! Please make sure to be here to take a look at what is to come in 4th grade. It's also a great opportunity to meet me and other parents in the class! There is also one BIG announcement that I have to give at curriculum night, so please try to attend- trust me, it's a GOOD one! We have a wonderful community in the works here, and I'd love to see everyone on Thursday night at 6:30pm! :)
- Three day rotations begin on Monday with Day 1: PE! so please make sure that you have appropriate shoes in order to participate!
Attention 4th and 5th Graders:
Applications for Robotics Club are available on the 4th grade hall. Those interested need to complete the coding requirements. Acceptance is on completion, date turned in, and knowledge demonstrated on a test.
An announcement will be made when the club is full.
Attention 4th Graders:
Applications for the Environmental Club are available on the 4th grade hall. If you are interested in helping the school recycle, work on special projects, and learn about the environment, please apply. Applications are due September 2.
Odyssey of the Mind
Odyssey of the Mind is an international educational program that provides creative problem-solving opportunities for students. Team members apply their creativity to solve problems that range from building mechanical devices to presenting their own interpretation of literary classics. They then bring their solutions to competition on the local, state, and world level.
If you are interested in joining Odyssey of the Mind, please complete an application packet. These packets are available beginning Monday, August 22 between Mrs. Capps’ and Mrs. Haile’s classrooms. All completed applications and materials must be returned to Mrs. Capps or Mrs. Haile by Tuesday, September 6.
Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all!
What's Going on This Week?!
Topics by Subject
Mentor Sentence Craft: Using and punctuating dialogue
Writing: Realistic Fiction- Narrative Writing
Grammar: subject and predicate
Social Studies: Native American tribes in the United States (Inuit, Kwakiutl, Nez Perce)
Math: Arrays for multiplication
Word Study: Prefixes (com- and col-)
Extended Text: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Theif
Read Aloud for Enjoyment: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Tests and Quizzes
- Identify a digit's place and value
- Write numbers in expanded, standard, and word form
- Compare numbers using >, <, or =
- Round numbers to a given place value
- Identify a possible exact number when given an aproximation (ex: If I have about 3,000 pennies, what might be an EXACT number of pennies that I have?)
Thursday: Greek Mythology Daily Grade
- What does it mean when someone has an "Achilles heel"?
- What does it mean to "open Pandora's box"?
- What does it mean when we call something "Herculean"?
- What does it mean when we say that someone has the "Midas Touch"?
Thursday: Grammar Daily Grade
- Student must be able to identify nouns, pronouns, verbs, progressive tenses, and adjectives. This will reflect a mentor sentence that we have done in class, and parts of speech (except progressive tenses) are a review from previous grade levels.
Friday: Spelling Daily Grade (will be done during morning work time)
Spelling words: understand, happened, called, country, complete, become, keep, cold, second, across, black, back, could, cannot
Previous words from former grade levels are also possibilities for items on daily grades
Book Fair Browsing/Buying
Thursday, Sep. 1st, 6:30pm
Gwin Oaks Elementary School
RSVPs are enabled for this event.