August 12th, 2022
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year. We are looking forward to seeing all our returning students and want to extend a warm welcome to our new students.
Our vision remains steadfast: every student, every day.
- Every student, every day is finding ways to feel connected.
- Every student, every day knows they have a champion to turn to.
- Every student, every day is being challenged by new learning and experiences.
Our vision thrives with open communication and school-family partnerships. On Thursday, September 1, we will be hosting a Launch Connection time for families. The culmination of the evening will be time to meet with our Family Advisory Committee. I invite you to attend and look forward to collaborating with you.
Welcome Back Events
Monday, August 22nd
- 6th/7th Grade Orientation, 10 AM - 12 PM
Tuesday, August 23rd
- 9th Grade Orientation, Last Names A-K, 9 AM - 1 PM
Wednesday, August 24th
- 9th Grade Orientation, Last Names L-Z, 9 AM - 1 PM
Thursday, August 25th
- 10th-12th Grade New Student Orientation, 10 AM - 12 PM
Friday, August 26th
- Deadline to Submit Health Care Plan or Vaccine Records
Tuesday, August 30th
- Middle School IST Open House, 5:30 PM
Wednesday, August 31st
- Fall Sports Parent Meeting in the Main Gym, 5:30 PM
Thursday, September 1st
- Launch Conferences for all grades
- Wolfpack Launch Connection, 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Tuesday, September 6th
- First day of Classes
Cybersecurity at National Conference
During the summer, Jonah Nichols and Josh Gallas represented the Wolfpack at the National SkillsUSA Conference, where they placed in the top 10 in the CyberSecurity competition. The students, led by Coach Tim Ellingson, worked hard to qualify for this competition through regional and state levels, and travelled to compete nationally in Atlanta in June. This competition requires students to work together using knowledge of Linux and Windows-based systems to capture virtual flags and score points. While they were there, they also assisted a local charity with assembling bicycles. Congratulations! We are so proud of your accomplishments.
Announcements and Events
School Year Launch Events
This year we are launching with three separate events at the high school level:
- Student Orientations will be August 22nd-25th. These orientations are for students only and will be led by other student leaders in our building. They will have activities, a school tour, and much more! This is a great time for new students of all grade levels to get to know our school.
- Launch Conferences are September 1st and 2nd. During Launch Conferences, families will sign up to meet with teachers one-on-one to build connections, understand more about the school, and help us understand more about their students. Directions for signup will be coming out in the next few weeks.
- Wolfpack Connections Launch is on September 1st from 5:00 to 6:30. This event will be an in an open fair arrangement, with representatives from community resources and partners, leaders of NC clubs, activities, and sports, and a chance to meet with the Family Advisory Committee and learn about their important work. This event is meant to help connect families and students to our school community.
Class Registration Timeline
Our counselors are currently out for the summer, but will be returning soon. Please read the important dates and deadlines below regarding course registration and course changes will be handled. I am including information on the School Counselors for this year so that you know who to contact with questions.
- 9th Grade - Nina Martinsen, email@example.com
- 10th Grade - Kerry Trepus, firstname.lastname@example.org
- 11th Grade - Alexis Bruce, email@example.com
- 12th Grade - Alicia Shenefelt, firstname.lastname@example.org
- M IST 6th, 7th, 8th - Jace Gobble, email@example.com
- ELD, High Cap & SEL - Macie Pate, firstname.lastname@example.org
- SPED & AVID - Anne Park, email@example.com
Ms. Parks is out on leave and we will have counselor coverage with more information to follow shortly. If you have an urgent need please reach out Mary O Gustafson at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Fall Athletics Starting Soon
Contact the head coaches of each sport directly with questions. They are listed below and on the NC Athletics page.
Wolfpack Football Spirit Store Closes August 15th
Health Care and Vaccine Records Due August 26th
- Digestive disorders
- Any other life-threatening medical condition
Please work with your child's medical provider over the summer to get the forms signed and submitted. Forms are specific to the medical condition and are available on this website.
Students are also required to be fully vaccinated or submit exemption documentation. The required vaccines are listed below. Families should submit the Certificate of Immunization or Certificate of Exemption form. More information regarding vaccination requirements is available on the Department of Health page.
We are legally required to exclude students from school and keep them at home until these forms have been updated. They should be submitted to our Public Office or School Nurse by August 26th.
3-on-3 Basketball Tournament
The Spokane Tribe of Indians is hosting a 3 on 3 basketball tournament to promote health and wellness of youth in our area. The event is in the parking lot of Spokane Tribe Casino in Airway Heights on August 27th and 28th. This free tournament is open to any students entering grades 3rd-12th this coming school year. Register online at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QCT8TFY or visit the Facebook Page for more details.
Free School Meals
And, all SPS schools will serve free breakfast and lunch to all enrolled students next year as a part of the passage of HB 1878. This new law requires schools or groups of schools with 40% or more of students Directly Certified (through programs like SNAP, foster, homeless and TANF) to participate in the USDA’s Community Eligibility Provision (CEP). The current DC rate for SPS schools is over 45%. The state will ensure that the school meal program receives full reimbursement for all meals served to students at schools that are required to be on CEP, and schools will no longer have to track meal charges or school meal applications.
NC Apparel Available
Summer Events and Activities
STA Free Summer Pass Program
Spokane Transit (STA) has announced the STA Summer Pass 2022 program, a free pass for unlimited rides from June 15 through September 30 for all youth ages 6-18 or students enrolled in grades K-12. STA Summer Passes will be available at local libraries within STA’s service areas beginning June 15 and are limited to the first 15,000 youth who pick up a card in-person.
Students entering the ninth through twelfth grades (or ages 14-18) will be required to verify age or school enrollment. The program was first launched in 2021 and saw over 70,300 free trips by local youth with over 3,400 passes given. Full STA Summer Pass program details are available at www.SpokaneTransit.com/SummerPass.