Arctic Light K-5
Do Good Work, Be a Friend, Every Day - May 1st, 2023
5/1st-12th - Canned Food Drive
5/2nd - all-day Kindergarten Round-Up at Arctic Light
- 5/2nd - School Board Meeting 6pm
- 5/3rd - 4th & 5th Grade Human Growth and Development Lessons
- 5/4th - May the Fourth be With You!
- 5/4th - Kinder Round-Up at Arctic Light 8am-2pm
- 5/5th - Cinco de Mayo
- 5/9th - Art Night starting at 5:15pm
- 5/10~12th - BOGO Book Fair
- 5/12th - End of Canned Food Drive: 2 items donated for Ice Cream Ticket
- 5/15th - All library materials are due
- 5/16th - Kindergarten Graduation 10:30am in Gym
- 5/16th - Ice Cream for Canned Food Drive (ticket needed)
- 5/17th~19th - Early Outs: students go home at 1pm
- 5/17th - Field Day
- 5/18th - 10am Honor Awards Assembly: 4th & 5th grades
- 5/18th - 11am BUG Club Awards: 4th & 5th grades
- 5/19th - Last Day for Students
Alaska Reads Act
Next year the Alaska Reads Act will begin for all Alaskan K-3 students. How will this affect your child's education?
- The motto for the AK Reads Act is: Read by Three - all students will be reading by third grade
- Students will be assessed using the MClass Reading test three times during the school year
- Proficient students will continue doing their Tier One reading instruction
- Below Proficient students will receive 45-minutes of additional targeted reading instruction
- Far Below Proficient students will receive 45-minutes of additional small group targeted reading instruction
- Tier One students are Proficient ~ Tier Two students are Below Proficient ~Tier Three students are Far Below Proficient
- Tier Two and Three students will receive a personalized reading plans to address their reading needs
- Parents will receive communication for their child's personalized reading plan and progress monitoring results as the plan is taught
- Third Grade students not proficient during the Spring assessment need a parent waiver to advance to Fourth Grade
- All Reading Instruction will be aligned with the Science of Reading
- The Science of Reading uses systematic direct instruction to teach the basics of reading. This includes letter-sound correspondence as well as phonological and phonemic awareness
If you have questions about the upcoming Alaska Reads Act - please stop by the office so we can talk. The more parents know, the more likely next year will be successful.
- Kindergarten Round-Up - we need all ~Incoming Kindergarteners~ to register for school. Spread the word, Kindergarten Round-Up is this Tuesday and Thursday.
- May Canned Food Drive - our local letter carriers union will provide 'ice cream truck' ice cream for students who bring-in (2) items for the Food Bank during the May 'Canned Food Drive.'
- With much sadness we all learned about the Apache helicopter crashes last Thursday. As a school of 100% military connected students we had all of our staff up-to-speed by Friday morning (more below).
Summer Workbooks - we have Summer Workbooks for Second Graders moving into Third Grade. These workbooks will be sent home the last week of school. We also have some other workbooks in the office for: Kindergarteners moving into First, First into Second, Third into Fourth, and a few for Fourth graders moving into Fifth. Stop by the office/ let the office know if you are interested in one of these workbooks.
Students need to wear - their winter gear or waterproof pants and boots until the grounds are dry.
Bicycling students - need to wear helmets, use a bicycle lock, and walk their bike while on school property.
Happy May 1st,
Kindergarten Round-Up for 2023-2024
We need all Incoming Kindergarteners to register for next school year. Help us spread the word and get the incoming Kindergarteners to sign-up for school May 1st-5th. On May 2nd and May 4th we will have all-day Round-Up with staff providing tours and personalized discussions.
Military fatalities and military connected students
How are your children handling the tragedy?
Let us know if we missed a student need or if one develops over the coming days. We have a community of caring professionals ready to support.
Arctic Light PTA Store - This is where staff members and families can purchase their PTA Memberships:
Arctic Light PTA Facebook Book - We post updates on events and links for volunteer signups:
K12 Northstar Volunteer Packet - This is for parents who would like to volunteer at the school. Completed packets must be turned in to the front office or emailed to email@example.com and more information at -
Here is the direct link for you to shop from for the Amazon Smiles fundraiser
Laughter is Medicine
Why do hummingbirds hum?
They don't know the words
Why was the computer late for school?
It had a hard drive
How did the farmer fix his ripped jeans?
With a cabbage patch!
Takes a few minutes - can save you a bundle and support our school's academic programs