Pennsbury School Health Newsletter
Welcome Back Pennsbury Community!
- School health requirements for the 2020/2021 school year
- Vision - Do you need glasses or an eye exam?
- CHIP-PA's Health Insurance for Kids
- September is National Head Lice Prevention Month
- COVID-related Multi-System Inflammatory Syndrome
- Information on The Nutrition Group's free meal pickups for all students and how to order locally-grown, fresh farm-to-table foods
School Health Requirements
Important Vaccine Requirements
- All kindergarten and students entering the Pennsbury School District for the first time must have had at least one dose of each of the required vaccinations or they will be at risk for exclusion from school.
- Students entering 7th grade must have one dose of the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV) and tetanus diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap).
- Students entering 12th grade must have had the second dose of the meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV).
- All vaccine records must be emailed or mailed directly to your school nurse. See your school nurses' contact information at the end of this newsletter.
- A documented plan to obtain the required vaccinations, written by a physician, must be in place and submitted to your student's nurse to avoid being excluded.
Although we are not physically in the school building, we are still required by the PA Department of Health to ensure that students are fully vaccinated according to the law. As these are unprecedented times, we understand that required exams and vaccinations may have been delayed, late, or missed altogether. Please know that we completely understand how difficult it can and will be to get caught up on these requirements. Please keep your school nurse informed of any issues with obtaining these vaccinations for your student or consult with your child’s healthcare provider.
Please ensure an updated copy of vaccines is attached to your physical exam so we can update your child's health record.
Click here to download the necessary forms to bring to your primary doctor: Nursing Services Forms
Click here to download the necessary form to bring to your primary dentist: Nursing Services Forms
Chronic Medical Conditions Update
Here are several Action Plans and Supply Checklists that you can download and print to bring to your specialist:
- All medications must be sent to the Nurse's office in the original prescription container.
- All controlled substances (prescriptions that must be renewed monthly by your physician such as ADHD/ADD medications) must be delivered to the Nurse's office by a parent/guardian or adult designee.
- A Physician's order is required for ANY medication other than those listed on the Pennsbury School District Emergency Card. This applies to both prescription and over-the-counter medications.
- A parent permission form must be completed for each medication. The form can be found here.
Need Glasses or an Eye Exam?
Also, click here for a resource for eye exams and glasses: Where to Get Free Eye Exams and Glasses
CHIP Keeps PA Kids Strong!
There are a lot of reasons why a child may not have health insurance. Maybe a parent lost their job, the parent's job does not offer health insurance, or maybe other options cost too much. Whatever the reason, CHIP may be able to help.
If you are interested in obtaining information about CHIP, please click here.
September is National Head Lice Prevention Month!
"Like hand washing, combing is a basic hygiene measure. Combing provides a reliable approach for screening, early detection, accurate identification, treatment and prevention of pediculosis. Combing accomplishes what chemicals cannot; it enables families to be self-reliant, proactive, and preventive. NPA’s 2020 campaign offers the first comprehensive list of the benefits of combing": Click here for benefits of combing!
Check out this lice video created by Walt Disney's Certified School Nurse, Beth Kurtz, for an explanation on how to spot, treat and prevent lice!
Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome
MIS-C and COVID-19
CDC is investigating multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children, a rare but serious complication associated with COVID-19.
Please read this important information about MIS-C. Learning the early warning signs and the steps to take in the event that your child has symptoms will help to protect and keep them safe. Click here: MIS-C
Let's Eat! Local food options for students and their families
The Nutrition Group at Pennsbury School District
FREE meal pickups will be offered when the Pennsbury School District is operating virtually. Please read carefully if this is of interest to you:
- Beginning Friday, September 11, free meals (breakfast and lunch) can be picked up on Tuesdays and Fridays from either 6:30 AM-8:30 AM or 3:00 PM-5:00 PM at the following locations:
- Pennsbury High School East Campus (705 Hood Blvd, Fairless Hills)
- William Penn Middle School (1524 Derbyshire Rd, Yardley)
- Walt Disney Elementary School (200 Lakeside Dr North, Levittown)
- Both breakfast and lunch will be distributed for free. Only complete meals as defined by USDA will be served. No a la carte food sales will be available at this time.
- If picking up meals on Tuesday, you will be receiving enough free meals to get through Friday. If picking up meals on Friday, you will be receiving enough free meals to get through Tuesday (not including Saturday or Sunday, holidays, or non-instructional times).
- Meals will be pre-boxed and distributed in a grab-and-go type manner. No on-campus dining/seating will be available for these pickups.
- At the schools listed above, there will be a drive-thru type setup where you will stay in your car. Signage and/or personnel will direct you in the parking lot where to go. If you walk to the campus, please follow the signage and/or directions from staff. Social distancing markers will be in place for any line that forms. Masks must be worn during pickup.
- Menus can be found at www.pennsbury.nutrislice.com. Please note that menus are subject to change.
- Per USDA guidelines, all students are eligible to receive free breakfast and lunch through December 2020. Students who were eligible for free and reduced meals last year are still encouraged to reapply at www.schoolcafe.com/pennsburysd
If you have any questions, please contact:
Ashley Dowd (215) 428-4100 ext. 18202 or Samantha Kennelley at (215) 428-4100 ext. 18204.
Pennsbury Certified School Nursing Staff Directory
Welcome back and good luck this 2020-2021 school year!
Pennsbury Elementary School Nurses
Afton Elementary School
Edgewood Elementary School
Eleanor Roosevelt Elementary School
Makefield Elementary School
Manor Elementary School & Penn Valley Elementary School
Oxford Valley Elementary School
Quarry Hill Elementary School & Fallsington Elementary School
Walt Disney Elementary School