Panther Newsletter -- May 8, 2015
It has been a busy couple of weeks with a wonderful Talent Show sponsored by our Student Council, our Spring BOGO Scholastic Bookfair, Teacher Appreciation Week and our Annual Art Show! In addition, with the warmer weather, students have been making use of our outdoor classroom.
Will every student meet the 100-step challenge so l sleep on the school roof one night this year? The announcement will be made at a special Panther Pride assembly on May 26th at 2:30pm. Please continue to encourage your students to keep reading to meet this important goal. Also, each grade level has math fact benchmark goals--keep working with your student to ensure that they meet their math goals, too. Warmer weather makes it more difficult for our students to focus on academics; do your best to encourage them to reach the end-of-year goals!
Please don't hesitate to contact me. You can reach me at (610) 847-5131 x6001 or email@example.com.
Springfield Elementary Principal
5/11- SEPTA Meeting, 6:30pm, Springfield Library & Live-streamed.
5/13- EPS (Education Programs & Services) meeting, 7pm, PHS Audion. Agenda to include Wellness/Fitness and Social Studies Curriculum Review Presentations & Draft resolution on standardized testing
5/15- School Store open, lunch/recess--last one this year!
5/18- 4th & 5th Grade track meet, PHS track, 9:30-11:30am
5/19- Student Holiday
5/19- Kindergarten Orientation, Springfield Library, 1st group: 9:15 - 10:15am; 10:15 - 10:30pm - bus ride for both groups; 2nd group: 10:30 - 11:30am
5/20- School Board Meeting, 7:30p PHS Library
Did You Know?
Parents can join their children for lunch in the cafeteria. Just bring your lunch & stop in at the office to sign in! 1st-3rd grades eat from 12:05-12:35pm; 4th & 5th grades eat from 12:35-1:05pm.
Our first bottlecap art project is to begin in early May--so send them in! But don't stop collecting! Mrs. McNichol has more ideas in store for those caps, so keep saving--even over the summer. Thanks!
Riegelsville Library offers free passes to area museums. Info
Upcoming Sports / Activities
Palisades Youth Field Hockey Flier
Palisades Youth Soccer Programs, Spring, Summer & Fall, many ages & many programs.
Palisades Pirates Youth Football & Cheer, 2015 registration, grades K-7th. Flier
5/9- Bike Rodeo, 9am, Quakertown Pool, bike safety, ages 6-12.
5/12- Protecting our Children, preventing substance abuse, Quakertown
5/16- Riegelsville Library Fair - books, games, puppets, performers & baker's challenge.
5/22-25- Mayfair Festival of the Arts, Allentown Fairgrounds
5/24- Sketchathon, 2-4pm at Steelstacks ArtsQuest, with Scott Hanna, local Marval & DC Comics artist. Free
Another Summer camp idea--register soon!
- Lafayette College S.T.E.A.M. Camp in Easton, entering grades 4-6. Flier
- Thank you to Mrs. Kolb and all her work to create a fabulous Spring Band Concert as well as the students for practicing & parents for arranging for rehearsals!
- Thank you to the Baking Committee members for sending in baked goods for the Family Night at the Scholastic Book Fair.
- Thank you to Lauren Hall for organizing the discount tickets to Dorney Park fundraiser!
- Thank you to Mrs. Doll & Mrs. Rabi & the Student Council for organizing Springfield's Got Talent! Thanks to Mrs. Muck for handling the sound. Thank you to all the student performers, MCs, & teachers who shared their talents with us! Thank you to our fabulous custodians for setting up!
- Thank you to the Garden Committee & the garden helpers who came out on 4/19 to clean up the school grounds--it's looking fabulous!
- Thank you to Connie Lordan & Susan Comstock for arranging for, sorting and distributing trees to each of our students as part of Earth Day.
- Thank you to the PA Game Commission for donating the trees.
- Thank you to all the volunteers who made the classroom seed planting happen: & Debbie Orben, former Springfield teacher for plant stories in our outdoor classroom! Thank you to Home Depot for donating the materials.
- Thank you to Kim Owens & Michele Carson for organizing the Spring Scholastic Bookfair. Thank you to all the parent volunteers who helped out: Moira Hower, Erin Schuback, Leeann Ryker, Matt Carson, Jennifer Peters, Barbara McAnally, Sarah Rohrbach, Leigh Feather, & Kim Reilly.
- Thank you to Moira Hower & Jill Triani for organizing Teacher Appreciation Week. Thank you to the parent volunteers who cooked for the Teacher Appreciation luncheon on 5/5: Moira Hower, Jill Triani, Erin Schuback, Barb McAnally, Kim Owens, Jen Bauman, Tamara Rambo & Jocelyn Kilhefner
- Thank you to Mrs. McNichol for organizing & setting up the Art Show at PALMS & for the parents who volunteered their time or donated food items.
Springfield's Got Talent!
Flower Planter Activity
Deadline: May 15th! Sponsored by the Garden Club. Flier has more info & registration form.
Earth Day - Trees
Earth Day - Seed Planting, Nature trail & Stories
(9" pie plate)
1-1/2 C pretzels, finely crushed
1/2 C butter, melted
1/4 C sugar
1 can (14oz) condensed milk
2 tsp grated lime peel
1/4 C lime juice
1/4 C orange juice
1 8oz container Cool Whip
Mix crust ingredients & press in bottom & up sides of pie plate.
Mix first four filling ingredients in bowl then fold in Cool Whip. Spoon into crust.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Comments, Thoughts, Ideas
Did anything in this newsletter make you say "Huh?" or "What's that all about?" Please let me know and we'll follow up with more information. Just click on the green "Contact Lyla Cookson" or email directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the safety of our children, PLEASE do not share this newsletter on any of the social media sites.