Coaching 4 Ps
Review, Preview, Praise and Problems: Jan. 11-15
- Met daily with 2nd grade class to model John Collins weekly schedule and lessons. Worked on journals (poetry, reading, math) and Snowmen at Night Types 1, 2, and 3 pieces.
- Continued to observe 2nd & 3rd grade RIT groups.
- Met Monday with remaining two 2nd grade chapter book challenge groups.
- Attended PreK-Kindergaten grade-level meeting to continue PBL discussions. I am excited that our PreK is willing to dive in with their kiddos.
- Met with first grade to discuss John Collins concerns. We looked at samples from another first grade, and compared our progress. We also discussed "grading" with FCAs and scheduling.
- Attended State Coaches' Cohort meeting on Thursday. Our focus this semester is reading and writing in the content areas. We are studying how to use inquiry learning and its impact on student achievement in reading and writing.
- Met with 5th grade teacher to discuss writing progress. We also discussed how to help students who fell below the 50th percentile on MAP. With almost half of the fifth grade in this category, she and I are brainstorming ways to make their reading and writing learning "stick" with them. Engagement and authentic learning is a main focus.
- Met with third grade teachers to discuss grading in John Collins. We looked at samples and discussed grading with editing marks.
- Create a 2nd & 3rd grade skills checklist from NWEA Learning Continuum for reading interventionists to use with LLI groups.
- Begin working with at least one teacher to plan, co-teach, and reflect on an inquiry unit.
- Attend NWEA training on Tuesday.
- Continue John Collins' work in second grade classroom.
- Gather science writing and reading response resources for fourth and fifth grade teachers.
- Arrange times for model lessons and journal check-ins based on my Google survey.
- Pack my materials in the literacy room.
- It was a great week in second grade for writing. I will continue my work in the class next week to try and establish a writing routine.
- The reading celebration was so much fun!
- Our first grade John Collins discussion was productive. The teachers were able to see where their writing was compared to another first grade, and they are on track. We looked at a "graded" type 3 and discussed some frustrations that the teachers had. This led into a discussion about having different FCAs for kids. We will continue our discussions as we check in and update each other.
Potential Speed Bumps (not really problems)
- I would like to see all of our kids be able to celebrate their reading. Maybe as we discuss our beliefs about reading and writing we could see if that is even a realistic possibility.
- A possible personal speed bump for the coming week is that Wednesday is one year to-the-date that my daddy died. I honestly do not know what that day will bring for me.