AJS Weekly Bison Tracks
December 10, 2021
- December 13 & 14 - Student Council Candy Gram Sales
- December 14 - Jr. High Christmas Band Concert (No Tickets at Door)
- December 15, 6:30 p.m. - Sr. High Christmas Band Concert (No Tickets at Door)
- December 15 - Student Council Christmas Movie Character Dress Up Day
- December 16 - Student Council Ski Dress Up Day & Hot Chocolate Sales
- December 17 - Student Council Ugly Christmas Sweater Day & Santa Pictures
- December 20 - Student Council Christmas Hat Day
- December 20 - Locker Clean Out - Junior High
- December 21 -Student Council PJ Day & Dress Your Pet
- December 22 - January 4 - Christmas Break
- January 5, Day 1 - Classes Resume
- January 5, 2:14 p.m. - Early Dismissal - Staff Meeting
- January 11 - Final Exam Sittings Begin (see schedule below)
- January 18, 6:00 p.m. - EIPS Secondary French Immersion Info Session (In-Person)
- January 18, 6:00 p.m. - Virtual Showcase: Agriculture – Plant Systems (Free)
Attention!! No Access to Front Parking Lot
A friendly reminder when dropping off or picking up students, please do not use the front of the school between the hours of 8:20 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. which is designated for buses only. As well, please refrain from parking in staff parking stalls. You are welcome to drive to the back of the school for pick-ups and drop-offs. Thank you for your cooperation.
REMINDER: BRING YOUR MASK
Just a friendly reminder to students, please ensure to bring a mask or two to school. It is always good practice to keep a couple of extra masks in your bag in case you need to replace it during the day. While we have disposable masks here, the cloth masks from home are more environmentally friendly.
Thank you for monitoring your health and keeping the entire AJS family safe.
AJS Jr. Sr. High Staff Recognition 2021-2022
AJS School Council is excited to begin a weekly staff recognition initiative! The staff at AJS go above and beyond to care for our kids every single day. What better way to say "thank you" than with a staff kudos!
Parents and students are welcome to fill out the Google form below, offering meaningful recognition to ANY member of the AJS staff. Your positive message will then be shared with the intended recipient.
Sometimes school can be tough... now is the chance to show your appreciation for the people that make the journey brighter along the way!
- Physics 20 class investigating centripetal forces.
Families challenge each other to solve the 12 Days of Christmas Challenge!! Each week we will post four new challenges to master.
The grade 7’s are finishing chapter 5 where we learned about Acadia, the great deportation, the Royal Proclamation of 1763 and the Quebec Act of 1774. Students also finished assignments on the contributions of the French, British, Metis and First Nations to the fur trade.
- The grade 8 classes are finishing their unit on the Renaissance and students are working on individual projects trying to prove who the Greatest Renaissance Citizen was. Leonardo Da Vinci is the front runner! Social Studies 82 did a short class on coding Minecraft. They will be exploring Florence in the Minecraft educations edition.
Chimie 20 FI conducted a filtration lab (recuperating a precipitate).
Science 8 FI are learning body systems.
- Students in Mechanics/Fabrication learned how to clean small engine pieces.
- “Room With a View” acrylic paintings from our talented Art 20 students!
Fee Waiver Application Deadline
If circumstances exist where you’re unable to pay school or transportation fees, you can apply to have fees waived by submitting an Application for a Waiver of Fees. The application deadline is Dec. 15, 2021. If you’re new to the Division, the deadline is the latter of Dec. 15, 2021, or 45 days after registration.
To access your fee information, simply log in to the PowerSchool Parent Portal and go to “Student Fees.” There you can view your fees and pay them online using Visa or MasterCard. All fees are due within 30 days of being posted.
Don’t forget to also log in to the PowerSchool Parent Portal regularly throughout the year. Fees are often added to your child’s account to cover the cost of various school activities such as field trips, class projects, extracurricular activities and more.
For more information about school fees, waivers and payment deadlines, visit www.eips.ca/schools/fees and www.ardrossan.ca/about/fees. Alternatively, contact Kim Walsh at Ardrossan Junior Senior High at 780-922-2228.
Ardrossan Junior Senior High will close for the Christmas break at the end of the day on Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2021. The school will reopen on Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2022. During this time, if you have any school-related questions or concerns, contact Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) Central Services at 780-464-3477.
EIPS Central Services Christmas Break Hours
Open December 22 and 23; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Closed Dec. 23, 2021 to Jan. 3, 2022
Open January 4; 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
*for location and contact information visit www.eips.ca.
From everyone at Elk Island Public Schools, we wish all of you a happy holiday season and a wonderful New Year.
Returning Student Registration for 2022-23
Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) will once again conduct an online returning student registration process to confirm student registrations for the 2022-23 school year. Families of all current students—with the exception of graduating Grade 12 students—must complete the process to confirm the school their child plans to attend in the 2022-23 school year or advise the Division of their plans not to return to EIPS. Additionally, students who want to attend a non-designated school need to make that request through the returning student registration process—acceptance is based on available space. The 2022-23 returning student registration takes place Feb. 1-28, 2022.
For more information, contact the school office at 780-922-2228.
RBC Future Launch Scholarship
FORGET EVERYTHING YOU KNOW ABOUT SCHOLARSHIPS. THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT.
Join a coding boot camp, learn French, enroll in a cosmetology course – You decide! The RBC Future Launch Scholarship could help you take your next step towards a better job. This Scholarship is for anyone from 15 to 29 who wants to learn something new… Could $1,500 make you more future ready?
Apply today. Now open for applications until December 15, 2021.
Are you stuck right now, but have a plan for how to achieve your dreams?
The RBC Future Launch Scholarship will be awarded to those who show a clear vision for their future.
- For Canadian youth between 15-29 years old
- Enrolled part time in school or not in school at all
- A Canadian Citizen or Permanent resident
- Grades and transcripts are not required
- Hundreds of scholarships available throughout the year
- Not working at RBC or a dependent of someone working at RBC
The $1,500 scholarship can be used for many different things, including:
- Short-term courses
- Necessary equipment or books
RBC Future Launch Scholarship for Indigenous Youth
Are you an Indigenous youth in Canada looking to pursue post-secondary education? The RBC Future Launch Scholarship for Indigenous Youth could help you achieve your post-secondary goals. Apply today!
Now open for applications until January 5, 2022.
The RBC Future Launch Scholarship for Indigenous Youth will award 20 scholarships annually valued up to $10,000 each per year (up to 4 years) to First Nations, Inuit and Métis students across Canada demonstrating strong academic performance and community involvement. RBC has been providing a scholarship for Indigenous students to complete post-secondary education since 1992. To date, more than $1.8 million dollars have been awarded to 198 Indigenous youth across Canada pursuing post-secondary education.
Entrance scholarship applications close soon at the U of A!
Our application-based entrance scholarship competition closes on January 12, 2022. Please note, a campus computing ID (CCID) is required in order to apply for entrance scholarships. In order to receive a CCID in time to work on a scholarship application over the winter closure, the last safe day to apply for admission is December 22, 2021. In general, it takes 2-3 business days for a CCID to be generated. uab.ca/awards
YWITT – Careers in Agriculture and the Skilled Trades in Cooking
YWITT – Careers in Agriculture and the Skilled Trades in Cooking
January 12, 2022 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Students in Grades 9-12
Young Women in Trades and Technologies (YWITT) is a program designed to break barriers and give young women the opportunity and confidence to explore different career options in non-traditional skilled trades and technologies.
The agricultural industry is both valuable and critical to our society and remains one of the largest sources of employment in many areas across Alberta and the world. It is an industry that continues to redefine itself and to present ever-evolving career opportunities. Whether it is working as a farmer, harvester, technician for farm equipment, scientist, and so on, there are an amazing number of opportunities for careers.
Careers: Beekeeper, Horticulturist, Veterinarian, Food Specialist, Seed Producer, Equine Stable Hand, Farmer, Irrigation Specialist, the list “grows” on and on…
As the industry shifts, and the gender barrier dissipates, the opportunities for women in cooking are better than ever. The skills that we learn in the culinary arts can be applied to so many different areas in our lives. We learn organization, teamwork, cleanliness, food safety, sanitization practices, as well as the undeniably great skill behind the art of cooking.
Skilled Trades: Cook and Baker
University of Alberta Scholarships
Applications for the Discover University of Alberta Award and the Turtle Spirit Pathway Award for First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Students are now open until February 15, 2022. The awards are available to incoming students to the University of Alberta. Students who have demonstrated financial challenges and barriers to attending university will be considered for up to $8,000 per year in award funding. Funding for the awards will be renewable for four to five years.
- December 10 & 11 - Sr. Varsity Basketball Tournament - Sturgeon
- December 10 - Bisons Football Year-end Banquet
- December 13, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs Austin O'Brien
- December 13, 5:30 p.m. - Sr. Varisty Men's Basketball vs. Louis St. Laurent
- December 14, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Girls Basketball vs ABJ
- December 14, 5:15 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Boys Basketball vs ABJ
- December 14, 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varisty Men's Basketball vs. St. Andre Bessette
- December 15, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. St. Oscar Romero
- December 15, 6:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. St. Oscar Romero
- December 16, 3:30 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Boys Basketball vs SCA
- December 16, 3:30 p.m. - Jr. Jr. Girls Basketball vs SCA
- December 16, 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. St. Andre Bessette
- December 16-18 - Sr. Varsity Basketball Tournament - Bert Church
- December 20, 4:00 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Girls Basketball vs Lakeland Ridge
- December 20, 5:15 p.m. - Jr. Sr. Boys Basketball vs Lakeland Ridge
- January 5, 5:00 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Parkland Immanuel Christian
- January 5, 6:30 p.m. - Sr. Varsity Women's Basketball vs. Louis St. Laurent
- January 6, 5:30 p.m. - Jr. Varsity Men's Basketball vs. Beaumont
- January 7 & 8 - Jr. Sr. Basketball Bison Bowl Invitational Tournament
- January 7 & 8 - Sr. Varsity Basketball Tournament @ Beaumont Composite