This Week w/ Ms. Werth
February 8th - February 12th
Inside recess isn't always so bad, especially when Mr. Trivett is a good sport
Math and Science
This week in math we started decimals. We focused on place value and being able to identify tenths and hundredths, converting between fractions and decimals as well as the relationship between the two, reading and writing decimals, and comparing decimals.
I would also like to take a second to brag on a few students with regards to Accelerated Math. Lexi, Lynsey, and Averie in particular. As you know, the expectation all year has been for students to master 3 objectives per week and given our progress in the current calendar, taking into account issues such as weather and holidays, these three ladies deserve praise for mastering more than 100 objectives! I have several other students VERY close, so be sure to ask your child how many objectives he/she has mastered this school year, because AM is one of the best review tools in preparation for our EOG.
This week in science we started our Rocks and Minerals study with a discussion about where rocks and minerals are found, the uses for rocks and minerals, and basic background knowledge students already have on the subject. Students also had the opportunity to examine three unknown rocks using a hand lens and discussing the observable properties with their science group.
Now that you've read about what we've been up to this week, I thought it would be fun to play a little game in which your child can benefit from simply your reading this update. Simply respond to my email with "Valentine's Day!" and your child will receive a free homework pass (which might be nice for everyone on those especially stressful evenings).
The Leader in Me
Additionally, now that all of our staff members have had an opportunity to check out other local schools and the neat things they are implementing concerning The Leader in Me, be on the lookout for changes throughout our school as well (how exciting!).
- Monday, Feb. 15th - Initially a teacher workday - now a make-up snow day
- Tuesday, Feb. 16th - School-wide Lego Night (check out the link below)
- Friday, Feb. 19th - Battle of the Books Team to Banoak (3:00-5:00pm)
- Tuesday, Feb. 23rd - Progress Reports
- Wednesday, March 2nd - Read Across America Day
- Monday, March 7th - Friday, March 11th - Book Fair
- Tuesday, March 8th - PDQ Spirit Night (5:00-9:00pm)
- Wednesday, March 9th - Battle of the Books Competition at Hickory Metro
- Friday, March 18th - TA March Madness School Dance
- Tuesday, March 22nd - Upcoming Kinder Parent Orientation (6:00pm)
- Friday, March 25th - Workday - No School
- Monday, March 28th - Friday, April 1st - Spring Break - No School
- Tuesday, April 12th - Grandfather Mountain Field Trip*
*This is a little further out, but some parents have asked about our Grandfather Mountain field trip (which will require 4-5 parent chaperones per class with current background checks - please contact the office to check on whether or not we have a background check on file for you or if you need the paperwork to complete one prior to our trip).
Smore Link about Lego Night: