Leaders in Cyber & STEM
Where would we be without them?
Think about what just happened.
You clicked a button on your computer and somewhere far, far away a computer that none of us has ever seen retrieved a file, encrypted it, sent it across a global computer network, and delivered it to your computer or phone, which decrypted the message and rendered the content based on agreed-upon formatting markup. It all happened in the blink of an eye. That's all thanks to these guys.
- 1912 - 1954
- Mathematician & Computer Scientist
- Cracked German ENIGMA Code in WWII
- Turing laid the foundation for theoretical computer science including groundbreaking work in algorithms analysis and artificial intelligence
- Typing squiggly words to prove you're a human is a type of "Turing test"
- Turing committed suicide by eating a cyanide-laced apple
- 1970 - Present
- Social Media Pioneer
- Co-Founded MySpace, one of the seminal social media platforms of the 21st century
- Web 2.0 dramatically changed the way cyberspace "worked," allowing bidirectional communication and interaction rather than simple publishing
- Everyone who signed up for MySpace was assigned Tom as a friend
- Talented photographer
Neil Degrasse Tyson [SLOW MOTION]
Neil deGrasse Tyson
- 1958 - Present
- Political science advisor, popular speaker and television host, and planetarium director
- deGrasse Tyson's high profile and ability to explain incredibly complicated concepts in plain English make him a popular icon for science in the 21st century
- Met his wife in a physics class
- Has over 5M followers on Twitter