January 13 - 20, 2014
MLK Service Day: Saturday, January 18, 10 a.m. - 1 pm
- Martin Luther King taught us that, “Anyone can be great because anyone can serve.” Celebrate MLK Day early by serving our school and recruiting students and parents to volunteer as well. Students who help out will receive 5 service tickets.
- Upward Roots is helping to coordinate the day and four projects have been planned: mural painting, restoration of the courtyard garden area, building and irrigation system in the Stonehurst Garden, and school clean-up. If you would like to lead another project, please let Mr. Jacques know and attend the planning meeting on 1/8 at 4 p.m. Thanks to Ms. Syrowski and Upward Roots for helping to plan the day.
Read to Achieve and Warriors Game on January 20
Thanks to Ms. Vargas, Esperanza students will be attending the Warriors’ “Read to Achieve” Night. We will be offering the 30 tickets to the focal 50 students in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. If upper grade students cannot attend, tickets will be offered to focal students in 2nd and 1st grade. Please let Ms. Vargas or Mr. Jacques know if you would like to chaperone (and have 4 seats in your car). Students and chaperones will meet at Esperanza at 4:30 and leave for Oracle Arena at 4:45.
SRI Testing Window Open for Grades 2-5
OUSD has shifted to using SRI as the primary measure of reading achievement across schools and for individual students. The window is now open, but I suggest that teachers reserve a time use the C4 Chromebook Cart on Wednesday, January 22. I would suggest signing up for a make-up slot at the Stonehurst Lab (D-pod) on Thursday or Friday, January 23 or 24. We are looking forward seeing our students reading growth and need every student to complete the test by the end of next week, regardless of attendance.
- Each grade-level team will be provided a release day in January for assessment of Focal 50 students, data analysis and curriculum design. Please see the calendar and work with another grade-level to switch days if your PLC day does not work for you.
- 8:30 – 10:30 Assessment of Focal 50 Students
- 10:45 – 11:45 Data Analysis and Planning
- 11:45 – 12:15 Lunch
- 12:15 – 2:45 Curriculum Design
Sign up for Garden Visits
Danielle Nahal, our new Foodcorps member (she replaced Cristyna), is looking forward to teaching more students about the garden and all the real-world lessons it holds. Please e-mail Danielle if you would like to set up a time to visit: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scholars of the Week
- If you have not done so, please enter your scholar of the week (who showed determination last week) by 8 a.m. This week, look for a student who shows appreciation of diversity or teachers others about diversity.
- Morning Meeting: 8:30 on the Back Yard
- Core Value of the Week: Diversity
- 5th Grade PLC Day
- Wes will be off site afternoon. Faculty Meeting will be made up on Monday, January 27.
- 3rd Grade PLC Day
- Focal 50 Meeting at 10:00
- COST 8:30 – 9:30
- One-on-ones for teachers that Mr. Jacques coaches
- PD: Authentic Literacy at 2:30
- PD Snack: 2nd Grade
- 4th Grade PLC Day
- Mr. Jacques off site at School Quality Review Training
- Caring School Community Leadership Training at Lakeview
- Kindergarten PLC Day (tentative)
- MLK Service Day, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
- AFC Championship: New England Patriots at Denver Broncos, 12:00 PM (Mr. Jacques)
- NFC Championship: San Francisco 49ers at Seattle Seahawks, 3:30 PM (Ms. Pena)
- Warriors Read to Achieve Nigh begins at 5:00 at Oracle Arena.
- Students and Chaperones meet at 4:30 at Esperanza