Math Curriculum Update
Math Curriculum Revision Background
Worked with Sue Palma, educational consultant from Education Connection, throughout 2014-2015 school year to gain feedback on strengths and weakness of the math curriculum at the time. The following highlight her feedback:
- Revise alignment to ensure that content reflects the focus of each grade level's expectations
- Make curriculum user-friendly for teachers
- Our resource, Investigations, was highly recommended for its lesson design to use as a foundation whenever applicable.
Action Steps Taken
- Improved curriculum template created
- Realignment of units in order to better match grade level standards
- Created first unit for teachers to begin planning over summer as well as to serve as a model for the curriculum revision team
- Began implementation of the Exemplar's Library resource.
- Began revising assessments to improve rigor.
- Established a K-6 Summer Math Curriculum Team to continue revision of units over the summer
K-6 Summer Math Curriculum Team
- Team was comprised of seven teachers (one representing each grade level), 3 math specialists and the chief academic officer
- Work took place for five full days during the week of August 17th
- Teachers used the new scope and sequence of units to determine what content needed to be taught as well as what skills students needed to master
- Teachers pulled