The Five Pillars of Islam
- The simple reciting of "There is no God but Allah, and Muhammad is his messenger"
- Reciting it three times in front of witnesses is all one must do to become a Muslim
- One who cannot wholeheartedly say it is not a Muslim
- The Salat are prayers performed five times a day
- They are done facing Mecca
- They are performed at dawn, midday, late afternoon, after sunset, and before midnight
- A praying Muslim must go through set movements and recite a specific prayer
- Muslims must "ritual wash" to clean themselves before praying
- Zakat is the giving of money and items to the poor
- Muslims believe it helps a person acknowledge that everything comes from God and we own nothing
- Muslims believe whether we are rich or poor is God's choice
Doing so teaches them things like:
- Self discipline
- Freeing oneself from possessions and greed
- Behaving Honestly
During the month of Ramadan (9th month on the Islamic Calendar) Muslims are expected to fast.
- The fasting involves abstaining from food and drinks, sexual activity, and smoking
- It makes Muslims closer to the poor and causes them to be more sympathetic for the poor
- They are also encouraged to avoid evil thoughts and deeds
- Ramadan ends with the Eid ul-Fitr, where Muslims dress up and visit the mosque for prayer
The Hajj is a once a year pilgrimage to Mecca that is encouraged to be done once in the lifetime of any Muslim who is able to
- It promotes equality of Muslims and demonstrates that all are equal in the eyes of Allah
- It makes Muslims feel as if there life is important and gives them the feeling of purpose
- In order to carry out the rituals one must be in a state of Ritual Purity, this is achieved by wearing special white clothes, and following set regulations:
- Engage in marital relations
- Shave or cut their nails
- Use cologne or scented oils
- Kill or hunt anything
- Fight or argue.
- Women must not cover their faces, even if they would do so in their home country.
- Men may not wear clothes with stitching.
- Bathing is allowed but scented soaps are frowned upon.
The Shahadah is on the flag of Saudi Arabia
These are the positions a Muslim must take during prayer
Muslims gather in the center of Mecca