THE OREGANO SPICE
by: Emily Barnhouse
Origin of Spice
Oregano was found in China through the spice road that found its way through the the middle east during the Medieval period. It was used as a medical herb to relieve fever, jaundice, vomiting and itchy skin. Later on the English found the herb to be addictive and used it in snuff instead of using tobacco. Despite its use in Europe it was little known in the United States prior to WW2 . The soldiers discovered the spice during the Italian Campaign and had such a desire they brought it back to the United States. Today's oregano is typically composed of other elements.
Uses in various cultures
- oil is used to treat intestinal parasites
- topically as an insect repellent
- food preservative
- helps with dandruff, canker sores, muscle pains, spider bites, toothaches, gum disease
Used in today's culture
- used to flavor food
- fight fungal infections
- used as oils
- treat ear infections
- in the future could treat cancer because of its antioxident properties
What is oregano made from?
How does oregano change the flavor of foods?
The warm, balsamic and aromatic flavor of oregano makes it the perfect addition to Mediterranean and Mexican cuisines
common recipe: Oregano Chicken
Ingredients Edit and Save
Original recipe makes 6 to 8 servingsChange Servings
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
Check All Add to Shopping List
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine the melted butter or margarine, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, oregano and garlic powder. Mix well.
- Place chicken in an ungreased 7x11 inch baking dish. Pour the butter/oregano mixture over the chicken. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Baste juices over the chicken. Bake for an additional 15 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a serving platter and serve the pan drippings over hot cooked rice, if desired.
- Research shows that after 3 months of using oregano it will lower cholesterol
- After taking oregano oil for 6 weeks it can kill the arasites Blastocystis hominis, Entamoeba hartmanni, and Endolimax nana.
- It was brought over to the United States by soldiers
- the oregano shrub can reach 29 inches in height
- the plant blooms in the summer and autumn
- oregano means "delight of the mountains"
"Oregano: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD." WebMD. WebMD, n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.
"Oregano." Oregano. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Oct. 2014.