A Christmas Carol Backround
- Charles Dickens was a famous author who wrote many highly regarded and liked stories and books.
- Charles lived in Great Britain during the Victorian Era.
- He lived to be 58 years old.
- Dickens had to work at a very young age, because his family was in debtors jail.
- Charles was a victim of child labor and Poverty during the Victorian Era.
- During this time Great Britain produced clothing, nail, cutlery, and leather goods.
- Industrialization started from Urbanization and rapid growth in Britain.
- Was a huge part of England's economy.
- Named after Queen Victoria.
- She was the ruler during this time, 1837 to 1901.
- This era was the last English monarchy.
- In this era, industrialization was huge, but their was a lot of poverty during this era from low paying jobs and many factories.
Child Labor and Poverty during the Victorian Age
- The Victorian age brought many struggles for many families, because of all the low paying factory jobs.
- Many children had to work during this time so their family would have enough money.
- For example the great Charles Dickens had to work for his family to get out of debtors jail.
- Their was not enough good paying jobs in this age.
- Charles Dickens had 10 children with 1 wife.
- He traveled around to sell his great novels and give speeches.
- The Victorian Age played a huge role in many lives in England.
Understanding of the Time Period
- This time period changed many peoples lives.
- Because of this period people in middle class families even had to go to debtors jail.
- Poverty was really bad during this time, because of the low paying factory jobs.
- Industry was what the economy depended on.