By Kyle Mitchell
Social Phobia Definition
Social Phobia is a type of anxiety. It makes a person think that they are in constant danger.
Signs or Symptoms
- Extreme feelings of shyness and self-consciousness that build into a powerful fear.
- Faster heart beat and breathing.
- There are physical sensations.
- The body and mind act like there is danger.
How does it affect someone?
- They act easier with family.
- They will be disappointed over missed opportunities for friendship and fun.
- They won't be getting the most out of school, which means they won't be raising their hand, giving presentations, and reading aloud.
- They won't be sharing new talents or good talents.
What are other names?
- Social Disorder
- Social Anxiety
- Selective Mutism
How is it diagnosed?
A therapist with friends and family could help recognize what you are fearing and symptoms.
How is it treated?
- The victim has to have patience, courage to face fears, be able to try new things, and willingness to practice at it.
- Medications can also help with the anxiety.