A Weekly Newsletter From Grant School & the Grant PTA
Week of September 1, 2020
Dearest Grant Families,
With the line between home and school being so blurry these days, it can be difficult to gauge how much of your time as a parent should be dedicated to sitting beside your student on their zoom calls, supporting them through their classwork in the afternoons, and managing their assignments. Some of you have shared with me how challenging it has been to bounce between the role of parent and the role of distance learning teacher every day in your home. I completely understand.
I am here to tell you that is not only acceptable for you to leave your student to work with their teacher independently on zoom; we encourage it! We understand that some students will need more involvement from an adult to keep them present during their calls and we thank you for that support. However, when it feels right to you and your student, it is more than okay to step away and let your student engage with their teacher independently.
We find that when students are given the opportunity to engage with their classmates and teacher independently that they feel comfortable expressing themselves and engaging with one another as they would in the classroom setting. It also fosters a value that we strongly believe in: It is okay to make mistakes and that your teachers are there to support you.
We are here to support you and your family in any way that we can. Please reach out to your student's teacher if your student is struggling and we will do our best to help.
More of our Amazing Grant Staff in the Distance Learning Flow!
Working with some fabulous second-grade students!
Inspiring her brilliant third-graders!
Keeping our campus safe in the evenings and getting it nice and clean for the next day!
Wear Your Grant Green Tomorrow!
Optional Mindfulness Classes on Wednesdays
1 pm K - 2nd grade
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 874 6412 3742
2 pm 3rd - 4th grade
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 871 8580 1688
3 pm 5th - 6th grade
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 835 6309 8285
Join the Grant PTA Online!
Here is the link to join and to find other useful information!
*Community Service Project!
Petaluma People Services Center has a fun service project for Petalumans of all ages! They are looking for coloring pages for our isolated seniors. All you have to do is draw a picture in black marker (not a lot of fine detail!) and then PPSC will make a coloring book for our seniors to color. Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to let them know it’s from a Grant Family!
*Online Services from the Petaluma Library :
and check out the kids page for great ideas! https://sonomalibrary.org/kids
*The Petaluma Education Foundation is Streaming the Bash Fundraiser!
The 2020 PEF Bash Free Live Stream Gala is Saturday, September 12th. Find all the details below including the Taste of the Town Raffle currently underway. PEF funds schools all over town, including Grant, via a yearly grant application process. Most recently, PEF funded Grant's emotional support tools and our Maker's Space/STEM Learning Center. It's a wonderful group to support!
- BASH 2020 Event Website! https://pefinfo.com/event/pef-bash-gala-september-7th/
- Taste of the Town BASH Restaurant Raffle! Tickets are $20/each for a chance to win one of three prizes: $1,000, $500, or $250 in local restaurant gift cards! Call Katy at PEF (707.778.5063) or contact a PEF Board Member to get tickets that benefit PEF and our local restaurants: a win-win! Prizes have been underwritten by W.K. McLellan Co.
*Girls on the Run is Back
In the Thank You Column:
- Thank you to our teachers for another round of smooth pick ups and getting class organized two weeks in advance. Ya'll are rockstars!
- Many thanks to everyone who has selected Grant on the Amazon Smile program so the school gets a donation whenever you make an Amazon purchase. The donations help so much!
- Very grateful to Principal Grey who keeps smiling and waving to people outside her office window. Her positive outlook is infectious.
At a Glance
- September 7 - Labor Day NO SCHOOL
- September 24 - PTA Association Meeting