Off & Running
Franklin Middle School: Mini e-Newsletter
Follow Us on Twitter @FranklinBolts
One item that often comes up from new and returning parents is how they can help their child be successful. As students transition from elementary to middle school or from one grade to the next, there comes an increase in expectations and the work often becomes more challenging. By the third week most students have received homework in at least one of their classes. We want our students to stay on top of their assignments, be aware of deadlines, and not let work pile up. One way to do this is to use their planners. Parents can help monitor by making it a part of their evening routine.
Need to Contact Attendance
Safety Tip: Drop-off & Pick-up
Participating & Spectating
PTA & Ways to Give Back
- Membership: Join the Franklin PTA
- Sign-up Genius: With Fall season sports underway, we are in need of volunteers to sell concessions at Football, Tennis, Soccer, and Volleyball events. We are also looking for items to be donated to our concessions stand. These items are all available at Sam's Club and/or Costco stores. All items can be dropped off in the Main Office. http://www.signupgenius.com/index.cfm?go=c.SignUpSearch&eid=08C1C9DBFACBFF62&cs=09CBBADE8FC48B177B7E64755BB09BCC&sortby=l.title&view=l
- Hy-Vee: Save your Hy‐Vee grocery receipts and turn them into Franklin Middle School. Hy‐Vee will donate to FMS $1 for every $200 in receipts collected. All receipts any Cedar Rapids and Marion Hy‐Vee Food Stores and Hy‐Vee Drugstores dated from May 1, 2014 through April 30, 2015 can be turned in to the FMS Main Office. Last year we received a check for $1256.00!
- Box Tops for Education: Clip and send the portion printed “BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION” to school and have your student place them in the canister in the main office or give them to one of the PE teachers. Last year we earned $813.80.
- Target: Target will donate up to 1% of your purchases to Franklin when you use the Target Red card (Target Credit Card). For more information or to sign, go to www.Target.com or call 1-800-316-6142. Last year, Franklin earned $787.75 through Target’s Take Charge of Education Program.
8th Graders-I Have A Plan
Your student has spent three periods in the computer lab this week exploring careers on a state sponsored website called I Have a Plan Iowa (ihaveaplaniowa.gov). This website contains a wealth of information for students, parents and educators.
Your student has explored and selected a career cluster and possibly a specific career to contemplate. In the early spring they will go back to the lab and complete a Four-Year Plan for high school using the insight gained from exploring this website.
More information will be shared about the Four-Year Plan after high school registration has been completed in February. If you have question about this process, ask your student or call the Franklin counseling office. 558-2258