Ulysses S. Grant
* The "S" in his name stands for Simpson, his mother's maiden name. It does not officially his name, but was accidently put on the ballot when he ran for the Senate, and it stuck.
Political Party: Republican
Presidential Number: 18
Years of Presidency: 1869-1877
Vice President: Schuyler Colfax (1869-1873) and Henry Wilson (1873-1875)
Born: April 27, 1822 in Point Pleasant, Ohio.
Talents: He was skilled in horsemanship. He did not excel in conventional schooling, and was nicknamed 'Useless.'
- He attended West Point Military Academy.
- He fought in the Mexican War, where he was sighted twice for his bravery.
- He fought in the Civil War for the Union.
- Lobbied Congress to pass the 15th Amendment
- Signed the Amnesty Act
- Created the Indian Peace Policy to radically reverse the Indian Removal Act
- Passed the Public Credit Act that guaranteed that bondholders would be paid in gold.
- Signed the Coinage Act of 1873 to regulate and universalize pregnancy.
- Appointed four justices to the Supreme Court