Counseling Newsletter: May
America's Finest Charter School: 1.7
No School : May 28 - 31
Teacher Appreciation Week!!
Teacher Shout Outs from AFCHS Students!
- Even though I struggled with math he helped me and gave me confidence. He really cares about us and pushes us to do things we think are impossible. He takes the time and effort to help us catch up or understand a certain math problem. Watching him teach amazes me and makes me want to learn more. I really appreciate what he's doing for us.
- He is a teacher who practices the profession that he is passionate about and I can see it because no matter how difficult it is to solve a problem, he remains positive in completing it and having a perfect answer, just like he always tries to get the greatest potential of their students, always imposing them on new challenges and opening opportunities for them to continue learning; As a person he is very humorous and positive even though not every day is perfect, he always tries to laugh at his frustrations, which is something to be admired.
Ms. del Castillo
- Ms. Main is always trying her best to help us in any way in class.
- She is a great teacher, her way of explaining is incredibly detailed, her selection of books, the way she accurately defines the characters, or her great acceptance of other perspectives, is for me a great incitement to talk English, before I hated having to speak or write in English, it was just frustrating, and in her class, I am more than happy to state my ideas even in Chinese if she asked me; She is a great person, she is always incredibly sympathetic and empathetic, very understanding and always offers her unconditional support to her students.
- She is hard-working and is dedicated to help out her students as much as possible. She talks to us, she explains to us the assignments until we understand and that is what makes her an amazing teacher
- We are all thankful for your kindness and the way you teach us. Thank you for helping us when we are stuck on a assignment thank you for always being amazing to all of us. We appreciate your kindness and support thank you for pushing us to be successful in life we all like the way you teach us thank you for staying with us until the assignment. Thank you for always checking in on us thank you for being an amazing teacher and an amazing human being we all love that positive vibe you have keep that smile we all love you thank you for everything you done for us !!
Reminder: Everything is temporary, and breathing is therapy!
The Samsung Solve For Tomorrow Team: Aeniah, Ashley G, and Brian G !
Shout out to our team for putting America's Finest Charter High School on a National Level and for becoming Samsung's Solve For Tomorrow Semi-Finalist due to their team work, and working on weekends to make this possible.
Great job team!
GET your Covid-19 Vaccine!
Click the button to find location near you! You must be 16 years or older.
Apprenticeship Information Sessions!
What is an Apprenticeship?
An apprenticeship is a program that trains a worker to become skilled in a particular trade. Apprenticeships combine hands-on work with classroom learning to train the apprentice. Apprenticeships are considered full-time employment. As the apprentice is learning, they are also applying the lessons through working
~ picture day: May 11th ~
AP Testing for Spanish - MAY 11!!!
The 2021 Ed100 Online Summer Academy for California Student Leaders
The Ed100 Online Academy for Student Leaders is a massive, free online conference for leaders from all of California’s 2,000+ high schools. Each California high school is invited to involve a delegation of student leaders consisting of at least one freshman, at least one sophomore and at least one junior.
Students must individually apply for admission.
The conference will be held online June 21-23, 2021. Students who apply and are admitted early are also eligible to join pre-conference online events. Late applicants will miss out on these opportunities.
Young Women in Biology: Recruiting Ambassadors program for the 2021-22 school year.
These Ambassadors will work with their local YWIB chapter (comprised of women professionals in the biotech, health sciences, and medical tech fields) to create educational and leadership opportunities in STEM for young girls, both locally and nationally.
Over the course of the Ambassadorship, students will support and attend events and programs coordinated by the local YWIB chapter, help develop educational content to inspire young girls to pursue STEM careers, promote STEM activities in their local community, and more!
Applications are due June 1st!
For questions about the program, please contact YWIB@womeninbio.org
Check out these flyers for more information!
The San Diego Union-Tribune Community Journalism Scholars Program
The San Diego Union-Tribune is seeking junior and senior high school students of different cultural and economic backgrounds from throughout the county to learn about and produce community journalism.
Six students will be selected to participate in the program as a paid internship position. They will learn about journalism and civic engagement, and may have their work published online and in the newspaper. One student will receive a $5,000 scholarship. This year’s program runs June 21 through July 22 and will be conducted primarily online.
Applications are due May 13.
SWENext Events for Aspiring Young Women Engineers
High school students who are interested in starting a SWENext Club are invited to attend this virtual event from 10 to 11:30 a.m. May 8. Students will learn about SWENext Clubs and network with other collegiate and high school students in the San Diego region. Registration is free.
Middle and high school students are invited to hear guest speaker Gabriela Coe, consulting engineer and technical fellow at Northrop Grumman. This virtual presentation from 11 a.m. to noon May 23 is free to attend.
Transportation YOU Summit
Transportation YOU is a joint initiative of WTS International, an organization that advocates for women in transportation fields, and the U.S. Department of Transportation. This hands-on mentoring program offered at no cost to participants aims to involve more girls and young women in STEM studies and future careers in the transportation industry.
The annual summer summit program which usually takes place in Washington, D.C. in June, will be held virtually this year. High school junior and seniors who are interested in this field can apply to attend the virtual summit through a local WTS chapter.
View the application form
Applications are due May 15.
Mind Out Loud
You are invited to boldly discuss mental health; connect with peers across California; hear from engaging speakers to become equipped with practical tools for wellness; increase mental health awareness and advocacy for themselves and friends; learn about suicide prevention; and reduce stigma associated with mental health!
Angie Thomas, author of The Hate U Give
Shane Harper, Good Luck Charlie
World Bank Group: Youth Summit
The two-day Summit will include keynote speeches from leaders in the field, stakeholder discussions for participants and livestream audience and expert panels that offer targeted insights.
Attendees will enjoy the Innovation Marketplace, where you can learn about partner organizations through interactive exhibits and engage directly with industry leaders.
Check out their website here to get more information
Emerging Filmmaker Fellowship | Applications due May 12th
This four-month fellowship provides participants with stipends and mentorship to produce their own short films highlighting the importance of ongoing local efforts to build age-friendly communities where people of all ages can be healthy and thrive.
This fellowship includes mentorship, access to equipment & a $2,000 stipend! Upon completion, the short documentaries will be screened at an Age-Friendly Film Festival in November 2021. Grand prize winner to receive cash award!
San Diego Community College Events!
The 7th Annual San Diego City College Virtual Open House Day
San Diego City College Info Night!
The San Diego City College InfoKnight brings information, support, and connection to prospective students, and support systems to learn how to get started, who can support you, what you can accomplish, and where you can go from San Diego City College!
· May, 4 2021 - 6:00pm -7:00pm
· June 6, 2021 - 6:00pm -7:00pm
· July 1, 2021 - 6:00pm -7:00pm
· August 3, 2021 - 6:00pm -7:00pm
The San Diego Promise Parent Night (Spanish)!
Join us to learn how your student can attend college for FREE! For workshop details and registration information, please reference the attached file. We hope to "see" you there!
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2021
Time: 6:00pm 7:00pm
Enrollment Support: 7:00pm -8:00pm
Enrollment Support link: https://cccconfer.zoom.us/j/96467766641?pwd=SVlhdEYwblF5amdrWmYzbEpjY2IrZz09
City First Step Session: Drop in Support Hours!
Submit your City...
· Application for Admission
· Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application
· San Diego Promise (Up to two years of free tuition)
Monday through Thursday
Check out the flyer down below!
Get to know our Staff!
1. I have been married to my wife for 32 years . We have three adult children and one grandson named Emilio who is 4 months old.
2. I had a short but spectacular radio career.
3. My favorite sport is baseball ️ But I was best at football
4. I was at the wedding of Charles and Diana in 1981 (in the same country anyway).
5. I have three grand cats and 1 Ginny pig