The FRIDAY Review
November 15, 2019
The Trauma-Informed School - SHMS Style
"Many students who are labeled as manipulating and wanting attention, are students who are seeking connection." (Avis Smith) It is vital that we make a connection with our students and give them positive attention BEFORE they have the opportunity to act out. Relationships are key in the outcomes both academically and behaviorally.
"When the adult is not able to stay regulated when approaching a student that is dysregulated, the outcome will be to escalate the student to their breaking point." How many times do we see a student become upset and begin yelling and talking back? What do you do next? Many times a cooling off period without any verbal interaction will allow the student to cool down and eventually be able talk rationally about the situation. We must always model the behavior we want to see in our students.
There is more to come with the Trauma-Informed School read. We have a lot of needy and traumatized students. Many have endured more in a year than most of us in a lifetime. Are you the teacher that you wish you would have had when you were a student? How do we know what a student has been through before coming to school? Continue the Spartan Way by building relationships with the students that need us most! <3
From Mrs. Lewis...
On Tuesday, please bring 40 Book Challenge folders to PLCs for discussion.
- Fundraisers for the remainder of the year must be submitted to Ms. Audrey by Tuesday, Nov 19th.
- Sports Pictures and Make-up Pictures will be held on November 25th. This will take place between 12 - 2pm. Stay tuned for details.
- Please be reminded that students must have a pass to leave class. ONLY ONE student per pass. If you need passes for your class, see Ms. Audrey.
- Please go into LINK and put an annual leave day for November 27th. (Holiday) Non-Certified Staff, if you have comp time, you must use this instead of the annual leave. See Audrey if you have questions.
- Would you like to recognize a colleague for their birthday or special occasion for only $10? The rock is up for rental for both students and staff. Information will be sent home on Monday. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1AW87lGewOgBuhBwZ2tV9UHSovcFX3a01H0E3R0BJtcc/edit
- Rock your Mocs! To celebrate Native American Heritage Month, students and staff are encouraged to wear your "mocs" on Friday, November 22nd.
- Smart Lunch will be held this week, Thursday, Nov. 21st. There may be an adjustment in the times. Stay tuned. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PmXZLGvTYelRkO-Oqs8RS2l-DocdSUf1Mu_zQmvpKME/edit?usp=sharing
- SIT Meeting November 18th in the media center
- ELA Teachers - Got Classroom Spelling Bee Winners?
- With a full administrative team on duty now, responsibilities will be shared with staff. Please use the responsibilities listed to determine who you need to see about what. Thanks so much!
- Data Team Members - Meeting Nov 21st in conference room
- All math, science, SS, ELA and EC teachers must include two Higher order thinking questions PER ACTIVITY in your Learning Focused Lesson Plans.
- We need you! Please make attendance and on time arrivals a priority. Doctor's appt should be scheduled outside of the school day, when possible. Absences just before holidays should be avoided, as this is some of our busiest days. Thanks for your help!
- Scotland County Schools will go through the accreditation process in March/April. Staff and students can be interviewed and classroom observations conducted. Stay tuned for more information.
- BT meeting 11/21.(From Cabinet) Thanksgiving Holiday Meal begins at 3:30 and meeting at 4:00.
- Fall All County Arts Night will be Tuesday, 11/19 at SHS. Art show begins at 6:00pm and All County Band Concert will be at 6:30.
- (From Mrs. Harris) The schoolwide Spelling Bee will take place on Nov. 21st. All ELA teachers need to conduct classroom spelling bees and select students to represent their classes. (For example, if you teach 4 core's then send 4 students to the Media Center that day.) Ms. Harris will be sending out resources that you can use to conduct classroom bees.
- Please find coverage for your duty station when you are out.
- How are you communicating with your parents? Are you calling due to academic and/or behavior issues? Do you let parents know when students are doing well?
- Mr. Lamorris Smith (Asst Principal) will join our faculty on Friday, November 15th. Please make him feel welcome! Dr. Livingston will still be on campus through Nov 21st to help with the transition.
REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
How many tests are you giving each nine weeks? Be reminded that the district requires us to count tests 50% of the overall grade. Please be sure that you give at least 2 -3 tests in order to ensure students are not penalized for one test grade that they perform poorly on.
United Way (From Cabinet) Hey, let's donate to a good cause. Please consider donating. Will begin this week; cards will be sent through interoffice mail; will provide rewards for highest $ amount and highest percentage of staff participation
- GRADING - Don't forget that the county policy on grading counts tests 50%. If you give one test, you could possibly set students up for failure. Please ensure that you at least 3 or 4 tests per nine weeks (Could be short in length) to allow for a reprieve if a student totally bombs a test.
- SPIRIT ROCK - Our spirit rock is a school fundraiser. Students, staff and can pay $10 to paint the rock to acknowledge a birthday, celebration, etc. More information to come about to sign up.
- Is there any club / organization sponsor that is interested in the Laurinburg Area Chamber Christmas Parade scheduled for Saturday, December 7th, 3pm? https://chambermaster.blob.core.windows.net/userfiles/UserFiles/chambers/3219/CMS/Christmas-Parade-Guidlines-and-Applciation-2019-EDIT.pdf
- Student Support Services November Smore https://www.smore.com/215xm-support-services-411-november
MONEY - All money is due by 2pm each day. This allows Ms. Audrey to count and deposit before leaving work each day.
- NON-NEGOTIABLES - (teach on your feet unless you are conducting small group instruction, cell phones away while students are in your care, while on duty and/or during professional meetings, Praise in public - reprimand in private, SHMS is a no yell zone, students should be supervised at ALL times, the Friday Review and all emails will be read in a timely manner)
From Mrs. Tippett
- Safety code information must be included in lesson plans left for your sub. Please include information of where they can locate your emergency clipboard, in the event they have to evacuate the building.
- When a Lockdown is first announced please check the hallway for students.
- DO NOT move out of your lockdown position until administration or law enforcement come to your classroom and unlock the door.
- Fire exit route maps should be posted by your door. If you need a map with the exit route marked please notify Mrs. Tippett ASAP. Also, keep in mind that a second exit route needs to be thought about in the event a fire blocks your 1st route. You may exit the building through the fire doors ONLY as a second route.
- 8th Grade Math 1 students (Houston,Carter, Salzlein) will complete the Math 1 NC CheckIn on Wednesday, Dec. 4, 8:45-11:00. Makeup test are planned for Friday, December 6. Movement and noise in the hallways will need to be at a minimum. Thank you for your help to ensure the students have an optimal testing environment.
- The NC CheckIn 2 testing window is scheduled for January 8 - 16. More details to follow.
- Weekly Reminder: After logging into to the Chromebooks, test administrators are not allowed to leave the classroom for any reason without another test administrator there to stay in the classroom.
From ESTELLA JOHNSON
If you haven’t already done so, post your QR Lesson Scanner outside your door, under your name. Please do it in a way it can’t be taken down by students. This must be done by Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:00 am.
If you haven’t done so, please sign up for NewsELA. PLEASE use your GOOGLE @scsnc.org email. Here is the sign-up link https://newsela.com/join/#/school/67484. If you have already signed up, no worries.
We are working out some kinks to Scootpad, more information coming soon.
Please be mindful of School and District Resources. As mentioned before, please add resources into Learning Activities, as much as possible. If you’re having sign-in issues, please let me know ASAP.
November 18 - SIT Meeting
November 21 - Smart Lunch
November 21 - School-wide Spelling Bee
November 21 - Data Team Meeting - Conference Room 3:45pm
November 22 - Rock your Mocs!
- November 22 -Common Assessments are due to E. Johnson
- November 25 - Make-Up / Sports Pictures
November 27-29- Thanksgiving Holidays - NO SCHOOL
December 2-5 - Common Assessment Window
December 6-December 13 -Writing Assessment Window