The Oxford Update
Oxford Elementary School
Our First Week
Our OES STARS did not miss a beat. You would never know that it had been nearly 6 months since they were inside the building. Students did an amazing job adjusting to mask-wearing, hand hygiene routines, and social distancing guidelines. Teachers have worked hard to ensure that classes have as much time to learn outside as we can manage and the kids have really enjoyed all the fresh air and have made great use of the chairs that families have sent in for outdoor use.
As we begin week two, we are looking forward to getting into a routine and learning lots this year. We ask that families continue to be patient and understanding as we work out some kinks in our morning and afternoon pick up and drop off routines and some glitches with our remote learning. I know it can be frustrating when technology doesn't work as we expect, but know that the Remote Learning Team is working hard to ensure that things run as smoothly as possible, as soon as possible. We are confident that all of these setbacks and procedures will become smoother every day! We are so happy that we are finally all back together!
REMEMBER: Dismissal this Wednesday is 1 hour earlier!
How do I clean my face mask?
For safety and to ensure that we all stay as healthy as possible while at school, it is important that your child comes to school with a clean face-covering each day. We have included some tips on how to wash your masks at home. If your child needs additional face masks, please have them ask their teacher. We have plenty to give to students as they need them.
Here are some face mask washing tips:
- Masks made of fabric, such as cotton, can be washed in your regular laundry using hot water.
- Disposable, blue surgical masks cannot be laundered or cleaned and should be thrown away when it is visibly soiled or damaged.
- After laundering your fabric masks, tumble dry them in the dryer on a high setting or air dry them in the sunlight.
- You might consider using a non-scented laundry detergent if you are sensitive to perfumes so it is easier to wear the masks.
- If you want to wash your cloth mask by hand, use a bucket of hot water with detergent. Just use hot water from the tap, no need to boil water. Let the cloth mask soak in the water, give it a hand wash, and rinse.
- Store clean masks in a clean place when you are not using them.
What About Breakfast?
We will be offering free breakfast to all elementary students on a daily basis. Breakfast will be sent home with students each afternoon for the following day. Breakfast will always include a juice and students will have the option to select milk as well. Milk will be packaged frozen so it can be sent home.
Breakfasts that are sent home each afternoon can be used as a child's breakfast before school the following day, can be eaten as a snack if your child does not need a breakfast from school, or could be sent to school with your child the following day to be eaten during snack time. We encourage you to sign your child up to receive a free breakfast each day.
Filling out the form linked to the button below will help foodservice better prepare for ordering and preparing what they will need for our school. If at any time you would like to change your decision about breakfast, please reach out to your child's teacher.
Click the button above to sign your child up for a daily FREE breakfast from school. Please complete a separate survey for each child.
Week #1 Reminders
2. During drop off and pick up we are asking that students exit and enter the vehicles on the curbside of the vehicle. This will keep them out of the driveway and make it safer for everyone. If there is any way to move car seats to the passenger side of the vehicle we would appreciate it.
3. During morning drop off, students can exit your vehicle anywhere along the curb. You do not have to wait until your vehicle gets to either entrance. We just ask that you do not let your child out of your vehicle until you are at the curb.
4. Families are asked to stay in their vehicles during both drop-off and pick up.
5. If someone is picking your child up for you, please make sure that they have viewed the video, What It Looks Like: Student Drop Off and Pick Up at OES so that they know the drop-off and pick up expectations. Click here to view the video.
6. Student masks should be washed each day after use. Directions for how to hand wash or machine wash can be found above.
7. Breakfast is ordered a day ahead, confirmed the day of, and delivered to classrooms in the afternoon. If milk is ordered it is sent home frozen so it stays fresh. Breakfast should be eaten at home the next morning before coming to school. If you want your child to order breakfast every day, please fill out the survey linked above to the Daily Breakfast Sign Up button. Monday's breakfast goes home Friday afternoon. We do not have space to eat breakfast in the classrooms as we have in the past.