Mrs K's UPDATES - APRIL 2023
This month we will be learning the "Apology and Forgiveness", "Patience Tool" and the "Courage Tool" from our Toolbox Curriculum which are our last 3 tools.
Books to Read
Apology and forgiveness is the glue that holds and repair broken relationships. Just like we glue two pieces of paper together , we use Apology and Forgiveness to glue friendships back together and restore communication.
Patience Tool "I am strong enough to wait" Patience is the ability to wait quietly. Patience develops our capacity to for tolerating situations that are not in our control. Children learn patience when we model it. If patience is not modeled, children may learn to be impatient, demanding, and impulsive.
Courage Tool "I have the courage to do the "right" thing" Courage is having inner strength and bravery to do the "right thing" even when it is difficult. When we feel troubled by our own or others behaviors, it takes courage to use our Tools when others are not using theirs. Helping children to have courage lets them explore the unfamiliar. Courage, from Latin cor ("heart"), means to act with "heart". Acting with courage is following one's heart.
THURSDAYS - Early Release 1pm
APRIL IS STATE TESTING MONTH - 3rd, 4th, 5th, & 6th Grades
April 3rd - Spirit Day Autism Awareness - WEAR BLUE
April 7th - World Health Day
April 22nd - Earth Day
Tips For Testing Days
- Make sure that your child gets a good night sleep , starts the day with a filling breakfast, and goes to school with a water bottle to help stay hydrated.
- Positive reinforcement - A little encouragement can go a long way in helping students walk into testing days feeling confident—which, in turn, can have a huge effect on their performance.
- Avoid putting too much emphasis on your child's test - doing so can make your child feel pressure that will ultimately affect his or her performance negatively
- Bring your child to school on time
- Encourage your child to take a few deep breaths and relax - repeat throughout the test, this will help calm them down
- Encourage your child not rush through the test but to to take time and read directions carefully
Our community offers a wealth of resources to support children and their families. Please let me know if you are in need of outside counseling contacts, employment support, food/clothing/utilities, crisis intervention, or any other concerns/questions!